Question Glo fish betta, ugh...

AJ34

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Was wondering everyone’s thoughts on the glofish betta. I’m not a fan of glofish yo begin with so when I saw the glofish bettas I was a bit surprised. Didn’t realize this was going to be a thing. They look so unnatural, I don’t see the appeal. Also they are selling them to t $20-$30 a pop along with “glofish betta” accessories. Regular bettas are sitting dying on the shelves and now they added these monstrosities. Anything for a buck I suppose. Ethics aside, I think they are not enjoyable to look at. I was just curious that hear what you guys think and if your local stores are carrying them.

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have nothing against making bettas fluoresce, as I myself was contemplating going that, but I agree, they shouldn’t be adding to the existing problem that is the betta trade. And yeah they’re pretty ugly lol

I believe my local petco is getting them in on Tuesday

EmiliyaCossack

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fascinating ... I'm not sure what I think, they're kinda cool but other than that I'm not sure... The Tetra site recommended keeping them in an aquarium so at least that's a plus up from the bowl, though they didn't specify the size of the aquarium...

I wouldn't spend $30 on a betta. Angelfish? Maybe, but not a betta.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They look like little zombies! At my Petsmart males are $15 and females are $10. I think it would be cool to do a betta sorority with them. It is actually better to have bettas more appealing, instead of danios and tiger barbs, tetras, and sharks because the kit that they sell next to the bettas actually wouldn’t be as bad as stuffing a bunch of other GloFish in the same size tank.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Really? Big chain pet stores are now selling them?

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I’ve never even heard of them before, I just searched up a picture! I think I’ll try to stop by Petco to see if they have them (not to buy, I just want to see them in person)

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
EmiliyaCossack said:
I wouldn't spend $30 on a betta. Angelfish? Maybe, but not a betta.
I’ve definitely spent more than that for my wild bettas lol

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Dewclaw83 said:
I’ve definitely spent more than that for my wild bettas lol
Same. *cough* $90 for a pair of hendra *cough*

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Crispii said:
Same. *cough* $90 for a pair of hendra *cough*
WHATTTT!!!! I knew they were pricey but I Didn’t know they cost that much! $$$$$$$

NanoFish4Life

Reaction score
For some reason GloFish have never appealed to me. Fish are so beautiful naturally I don't know why someone felt the need to expose them to radiation to make them glow lol. Plus they're a lot more expensive. Zebra danios are like $1.49 at PetSmart and GloFish danios are $5.99...It's all about the Benjamin's I guess.

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
NanoFish4Life said:
For some reason GloFish have never appealed to me. Fish are so beautiful naturally I don't know why someone felt the need to expose them to radiation to make them glow lol. Plus they're a lot more expensive. Zebra danios are like $1.49 at PetSmart and GloFish danios are $5.99...It's all about the Benjamin's I guess.
They weren’t exposed to radiation though? They had fluorescing genes introduced to their eggs, and now it’s just inherited

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
IMO they’re ugly compared to the bettas that already exist, but then again they’re marketed towards little kids and not me soooo
They’re just for the purpose of squeezing more money out of the hobbyists

Lakenvelderin

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CoryFan said:
They look like little zombies! At my Petsmart males are $15 and females are $10. I think it would be cool to do a betta sorority with them. It is actually better to have bettas more appealing, instead of danios and tiger barbs, tetras, and sharks because the kit that they sell next to the bettas actually wouldn’t be as bad as stuffing a bunch of other GloFish in the same size tank.
Betta sororities are generally not recommended, as female bettas can be just as aggressive as males.

I agree that it's probably better for a new fish owner to grab a "pretty glowing betta" than a "prett glowing red fin shark," haha. I wonder if the bright colors sold in those kits stress them out? Either way, it's a little odd to me. The green females look kind of cool though.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lakenvelderin said:
Betta sororities are generally not recommended, as female bettas can be just as aggressive as males.

I agree that it's probably better for a new fish owner to grab a "pretty glowing betta" than a "prett glowing red fin shark," haha. I wonder if the bright colors sold in those kits stress them out? Either way, it's a little odd to me. The green females look kind of cool though.
actually if done right and carefully betta sororities work out quite well.

New Threads