Glass top cover Help

1. click Well Known Member Member

I have recently bought a Perfecto Glass Cover which is supposed to fit a 30x12 (29g) tank. I am having trouble figuring out where I should fit it. If I try to fit it on the inside rim, the cover is by 0.5 cm too long. If I try to set it atop the aquarium, it's exactly 0.5 cm too short. Am I missing something or I just happen to have the bad luck to pick the wrong cover?

Is the glass cover supposed to be set on the inside rim of the tank or above the tank? I need to figure out how to set it securely since I have a double strip light to place on top of it and I don't want the light to fall into the water and electrocute my fish.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

2. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I have a versa glass top and it fits inside the rim of the tank.

3. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

It should fit on the rim rather than on the top. I have a 55 that has the same problem; none of the glass tops really fit on it. My suggestion would be to find out the manufacturer of your tank and try their brand of glass top. My other suggestion would be to pick up an extra plastic trim that fits on the back of the glass top. Cut the plastic into two strips that fit on each side of the rim of the tank. Then you can lay the glass top on the plastic strips and it should fit more securely. This is what I did for the 55 and it works great. :)

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I did the same for my 55. Works like a charm.

5. click Well Known Member Member

Your idea sounds great but the cover I have is too big to fit inside, on the rim. I think I will go to the store with a measuring tape and measure the different covers they have see which one fits. My aquarium is made by Hagen, I haven't seen any Hagen glass covers at the stores I'm going. Tx for the sugestions, at least now I know where it should fit.

6. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I understand what you mean, but I think it could still work for you if you can't find anything with the perfect measurements. The problem with my 55 is actually the center brace; the tank is made for those junky plastic hoods and not for a glass top, so the brace isn't recessed and the glass top wobbles. With the plastic parts in place on the sides, the top sits up a little higher and the plastic parts are flush with the brace. It's a much more secure fit and it's been working great so far. My husband came up with the idea after the cat knocked our PC light fixture into the water- fortunately the power was off and after a day of drying it was good to go. :)

7. click Well Known Member Member

Hm...maybe my tank is also made only for plastic covers. I understand what you mean now. Scarry story with the cat...I'm glad the light was off. Bad kitty :;smack

8. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, it's never good to have a light fixture fall into your tank but as long as the power is off when it happens and you give it PLENTY of time to dry out, it's generally not that big of a deal. Ours fired right up- good thing too, I didn't really want to spend $80 on a new one, lol.

9. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I looked and measured and looked and measured some more before finding a glass top for my tank. They are brand specific. Measure the tank and be precise. When I ordered my glass top from Fosters and Smith there were several different ones and some measurements were fractions of an inch different.

10. Regal Well Known Member Member

I just bought glass tops for my sons 55 and they were slightly too wide. There are different brands of tops and tanks. I took the first set back to Pet Supplies Plus and went to Petsmart where they sell Marineland glass tops that fit his Marineland tank perfectly. I had glass tops on a 75 that I used to have that were slightly too small. I cut glass strips to hold it up and it worked. If you can still return them it would be less of a pain though :)

11. click Well Known Member Member

For sure, I'm taking mine back to the store tomorrow. I will be armed with a measuring tape this time ;D

12. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Click. I had to purchase a glass top for my 29g that I only use to prefilter, heat and treat the water for my water changes. It didn't fit correctly either and it was a top for a 29g tank. Sometimes it can be difficult when you don't purchase the tank and hoods at the same time.
    Best of luck!
    Ken

13. Regal Well Known Member Member

See if you can find a sticker on the tank that says who made the manufactuer is then buy the same brand glass tops. It seems like eack store sells tops from one manufactuer. PetSmart has Marineland in the blue box and Pet Supplies Plus sells All Glass in a white box. ( I'm not 100% sure those are the right stores for the right brands but you could call ahead and ask)

14. click Well Known Member Member

A quick update. I've returned the cover and asked one of the guys in the store for advice. He guessed before I could tell him that I have a Hagen aquarium (that impressed me) and told me that none of the covers in that store will fit my tank. He directed me to PetsMart (he even gave me the closest address...wow) and told me to look for a Hagen glass top.

Anyway, long story short, PetsMart doesn't sell Hagen anymore, so I got directed to another retailer (again, to the competition), and I ended up ordering one from the last store visited since they didn't have any in stock.

Although it might take a while till I have the actual cover I was impressed today that I went into 3 pet stores and they were all very helpful and quick to direct me to a competitor when they realized they can't help me. Maybe the knowledgeable and nice sales clerks all work the weekend shift :)

15. Regal Well Known Member Member

It's nice when you run into some LFS people who know what they're talking about:)