Glass Surfing?

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by SarahBear1009, Apr 24, 2019.

1. SarahBear1009Valued MemberMember

So to make this story short, I had 3 emerald cories. Petco only had the 3, so I figured I'd wait until they got more in to up the numbers. Plus then being as how my tank was newly cycled, it wouldn't over load things.
    Pretty much the whole time I had these original 3, they glass surfed. On one side of the tank. They'd come down to eat, and then go right back. Sometimes it was all of them, sometimes only two, and a few times only one of them.
    I didn't feel like it was my water, as I am pretty OCD about checking it. I figured they needed more in their group, so I felt once I added more, the surfing would stop.

Well, a week or more came and went and neither my LFS or Petco had any. Until yesterday. My LFS got some in, as Petco still did not have any in. I got 3 more. Original three since adding the others are still glass surfing on that one side.

Are they fine? Should I just exchange them all and try a different type like pygmy cories?

I don't want them stressed, if in fact that is what this is. I have had cories before, and they never glass surfed like this.
    Now some of the new ones are doing it.

I have Pearl Gouramis, Rummynose, Lambchop Rasbora, and a Bolivian Ram.
    PH is around 7.2 and temp is 75.

I have a 55 gallon.

Thanks in advance everyone for your ideas and advice!

2. PeteSteversWell Known MemberMember

3. IceForeverValued MemberMember

When I added cories this way (first 2 sterbs and then a group of 4) it just took a while for them to warm up to one another. I also noticed that they do kinda seem to break off in to smaller groups/pairs inside of the big group, which meant my original two kinda stuck together and the other 4 had two pairs. Eventually, though, they started intermingling a lot more.

They do still surf haha I think it’s just normal quirky Cory behavior. Like how they SHOOT up to the surface to gulp bubbles

4. SarahBear1009Valued MemberMember

My tank is newly cycled. As in for about 2 to 3 weeks now.

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 10-20

My tank is moderately planted. Plan to have it more on the heavily planted side with low maintenance plants.

5. SarahBear1009Valued MemberMember

lol my three seem pretty obsessive over it though. I just want them happy, so if this is due to stress, I'd like to get ones that will be happy in my environment, and take these guys back.
    Perhaps I need to give it a little more time though.

6. IceForeverValued MemberMember

You’re fine. Your tank was already cycled, had over a week to adjust and boost bb to be able to handle the 3 additional cories, and then added more. Sounds like the perfect way to add a school of cories to a newly cycled tank

7. IceForeverValued MemberMember

They were still getting used to their new home and then you added more of them, haha. They should adjust and be fine. My cories still glass surf.

They’re probably eating biofilm on your newly cycled tank tbh

8. IceForeverValued MemberMember

How’s their color? How’s their breathing? Do they seem stressed swimming, or just surfing? Haha

9. SarahBear1009Valued MemberMember

Their color looks fine. Nice green sheen, which is what I liked about them.
    The new ones were a little pale yesterday when I added them, and unfortunately didn't have much time this morning to really study them before work, so I will really look over the new ones when I get home.
    To be honest I am not sure what the difference is between just glass surfing and stressed glass surfing.

10. IceForeverValued MemberMember

The new ones should be a little less colorful because they’ll be stressed from the move. If there’s a noticeable difference between the ones you had and the new guys then I would say that’s a great sign that you are providing them with a nice, stress-free environment and they are just doing Corydora things .

Stressed swimming like they are trying to get away from something, fast breathing, etc. but as I said it sounds like them just being them to me

11. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I don't believe glass surfing indicates a water issue. Sometimes it means they're getting used to their new environment, which can take a couple weeks or more for some fish (talking from experience). Other times it could mean they want food, which pretty much all my fish do when I come near the tank. In short, if the fish eat fine and look healthy, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

12. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

You are fine. Corys do that. The 6 (soon to be a bunch more when the eggs hatch) I have in the 37 do that when they spawn.

13. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Got a pic?. I expect them to be C.aeneus (green type)

14. SarahBear1009Valued MemberMember

When I get home I will snap some pics, and possibly a video.
    I have to say that the three I got from Petco originally, are a little smaller than the three I got yesterday. They all are pretty big and robust looking though, just the original 3 seem to just be smaller in size overall.
    Are there different kinds of "green" cories???

15. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

The emerald green Cory is Corydoras (formerly Brochis) splendens.

Nowadays often a green type of C.aeneus is mislabeled / sold as Emerald Green corydoras.

They are quite different.

16. SarahBear1009Valued MemberMember

So the 3 I got yesterday were labeled as Brochis. The original 3, I'm not so sure. It was just labeled as Emerald.
    I found a video. Let me know if you can watch it. This was from this morning when the lights were out, so you can't really see their color, just their size.
    The 2 on the right are from the original 3. The big one on the left is one of the 3 I got yesterday.

17. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Look like Brochis but watching on a cellphone doesn't do good hahaha.
    Not 100% sure

18. SarahBear1009Valued MemberMember

lol
    I will take a better video today when I get home and the lights are on.

Does the behavior though look like stressed behavior, or just cories being cories?

19. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Adjusting Corys.

20. SarahBear1009Valued MemberMember

Here are a few pics..
    I got pics of both groups.
    They all look like the ones you mentioned?

Also. There was a good 45 mins tonight where they didn't glass surf. Now, one has begun.... lol 20190424_195004.jpg20190424_194948.jpg20190424_192237.jpg20190424_192100.jpg