Glass Surfing

1. SuzanaBanana Member Member

What does it mean?

Is it bad?

2. Dovah Well Known Member Member

I take it to mean bored or stressed fish.

3. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Can we see a video? And Dovah not always true.

4. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

From what I'm reading, the glass surfing itself isn't harmful, it either means the fish is bored or stressed, but I'm not sure that's entirely true.

It can also mean it's still settling into its surroundings. My Betta has actually been glass surfing for about a week and just the last few days has simmered down and started exploring the tank more instead.

I'd be interested to see a more experienced fish keeper share their knowledge of glass surfing!

5. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

They also do that when they see the owner and want food from them. It's mainly greeting the owner:)

6. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

True! Forgot to mention this. As my Betta was always surfing on the back of the tank and barely paying attention to me, I know it's not for that reason in my case, but OP may wanna take this into consideration. If they're only doing it when you walk by and they do it on the side you're on, this could be the purpose.

7. blakeugan Well Known Member Member

I want to second this question. I got 3 Corys recently (I know. I'll be getting a few more soon) they do get picked on a bit by the t-barbs but still, they've been glass surfing for 4 days straight.

https://vimeo.com/170224725

8. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Quite energetic little guys. Could be stress driving them to it, between having a new home, tiger barbs, and only having 3.

9. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Agreed with this.
    Definitely recommend getting more asap

10. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Totally normal for Corys adapting to new surroundings amd waterparameters.

11. axel Well Known Member Member

When i introduced my albino cories in tank,they wont stop glass surfing..They did it day and night like never rest...They did this for 1-2 weeks.Now they just spend most of their day resting and hiding in cave and rarely see them moving.:)

12. SuzanaBanana Member Member

When i got 3 corys they glass surfed for a few days, but now theyr doing better

I got a pictus catfish yesterday and he was glass surfing all day yesterday, havnt been downstairs to check on him today

13. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Likely that pictus needs some buddies but I'm unsure exactly about their temperament.

14. blakeugan Well Known Member Member

Thanks everyone. Didn't mean to derail the thread. I'll be getting three more soon. I just wanted to make sure my tank is ready first. I hope they don't wear themselves out!

15. axel Well Known Member Member

they wont:;toast

16. SuzanaBanana Member Member

Everyone says that schooling fish should be in groups of 6 or more, but in my opinion i think fish also do great in groups of 3-4

(Before i had more knowledge of fish)
    I kept schooling fish in groups of 3, and they always did fine.

In my opinion you dont necessarily HAVE TO HAVE 6, 3-4 should be fine

I didnt say @ my lps that they are schooling fish (but of course you can never trust them)

But i am now finding out that they are schooling fish. I honestly dont have room for more in my tank, and all my other fish to be comfy. So idk

17. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Yes they should be in a group of at least 5. If you cant get more, you should return it

18. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Good exercise !!

19. joiakimfish Member Member

When I got my tiger barbs they schooled and 2 of them and glass surfed together it was funny to see but they're all calm now and now it's my rope fish glass surfing anytime he comes out his cave

20. SuzanaBanana Member Member

[​IMG]

?