Glass Surfing in normal parameters

FoldedCheese

Hello,

I've had my betta for 1 week. At first he was shy and hiding, little did I know a feisty personality awaited me. For the last 4 days he's been glass surfing A LOT, and occasionally flaring at his reflection, but it seems obsessive. I figured he was perking up, and just bring active since I got him in a cup of his own and it might be just him exercising his muscles.
I'm worried he's stressed out. He does take small breaks to explore the rest of the tank (swI'm through the floating log, under the bridge etc). At first he inspected the plants and other things, but glass surfing is most of what he does now. I put matte black paper on 3 sides of the tank in hopes of reducing his reflection but he is still glass surfing.

I will be honest I messed up and this is the tanks first nitrogen cycle (I know I suck). I check the water every day, and anything over 0.25 ppm ammonia is treated with a partial dose of Prime and partial water change. I have a test kit to monitor the water parameters like a hawk. No major changes in PH, hardness, KH and still no nitrites or nitrates. Is this stress related? What is happening? Will more floating plants etc help him? I just worry about limiting his swimming space since he is in a 5 gallon SUPER active right now. I've read putting plants near the sides can help block his line of site, but I feel like hes the guy to swim through them anyway. help. Temp has been a solid 80 the entire time. PH 6.5-7 consistent.

side note I monitor PH, KH, GH and nitrites and nitrates with a single test strip.. Ammonia is tested with a proper kit and solutions.

AquaticQueen

My betta did exactly that when I first got him. He stopped doing it after about a week. If it continues for more than a 5-8 days you can start worrying.

FoldedCheese

My betta did exactly that when I first got him. He stopped doing it after about a week. If it continues for more than a 5-8 days you can start worrying.

It's already been a week and the flaring has just started like 4 days ago coupled with the glass surfing. I check my water literally daily. Is it a lack of plants? He never would come up to the front of the glass to see me, but now does bc food. He's stressing me out lol

I'm already worried, it seems like obsessive stress glass surfing. I don't know how to help. As needed I do water changes every few days according to the test results....

AquaticQueen

It's already been a week and the flaring has just started like 4 days ago coupled with the glass surfing. I check my water literally daily. Is it a lack of plants? He never would come up to the front of the glass to see me, but now does bc food. He's stressing me out lol
Do you mean lack of live plants? Probably not. I have zero live plants in my betta tank and he's fine. What size is your tank?

AquaticQueen

Do you mean lack of live plants? Probably not. I have zero live plants in my betta tank and he's fine. What size is your tank?
My betta stressed me out when I first got him. He was too stressed to eat and I was freaking out.

Vince3

Good to hear you're monitoring the water parameters.

Both of my bettas came home to 5.5 gallon tanks, and they spent most of their time glass surfing for the first several days. They eventually stopped. I recently moved my current betta to a new 10 gallon tank, and after a few days of hiding he has been glass surfing.

As for plants versus open swimming space, I give my betta both options. The back half of the tank is moderately planted with anubias and java fern. The front of the tank has a short anubias and crypt on each side, above which is open space. I also have a small piece of driftwood and will probably add another piece soon.

AquaticQueen

Good to hear you're monitoring the water parameters.

Both of my bettas came home to 5.5 gallon tanks, and they spent most of their time glass surfing for the first several days. They eventually stopped. I recently moved my current betta to a new 10 gallon tank, and after a few days of hiding he has been glass surfing.

As for plants versus open swimming space, I give my betta both options. The back half of the tank is moderately planted with anubias and java fern. The front of the tank has a short anubias and crypt on each side, above which is open space. I also have a small piece of driftwood and will probably add another piece soon.
Could just be stress. What is the waters temperture?

AquaticQueen

Ideally, the temperature should be at 79 degrees.

side note I monitor PH, KH, GH and nitrites and nitrates with a single test strip.. Ammonia is tested with a proper kit and solutions.
I would probably test everything with a kit. Test strips are vey inaccurate.

WrenFeenix

Is he surfing a specific side of the tank? You could try covering that side with a piece of paper, and if he stops you’ll know he was after his reflection.

My betta surfed himself bonkers until I covered the side of my tank up.

nobettasinbowls

I would probably test everything with a kit. Test strips are vey inaccurate.

I used to think th is too, but have learned that it depends on the brand of strips. There was a post on here recently that discussed how tetra strips actually have fairly close results to the API liquid kit. There is a person on YouTube who did a comparison test.

For cycling with a fish in the tank, I'd want the extra precision of the liquid kit though personally!

AquaticQueen

I used to think th is too, but have learned that it depends on the brand of strips. There was a post on here recently that discussed how tetra strips actually have fairly close results to the API liquid kit. There is a person on YouTube who did a comparison test.

For cycling with a fish in the tank, I'd want the extra precision of the liquid kit though personally!
Sorry I couldn't get back to you right away. I was helping gathering things together to bring my 2 year old brother to the hospital because he broke his arm.
Ok back to fish stuff. I guess sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I geuss it all depends on the brand.

Vince3

Ideally, the temperature should be at 79 degrees.
It's a difficult thermometer to read. I took another look, and it's at 77. He isn't glass surfing anymore and is back to patrolling and weaving through the plants.

From what I've read, bettas start having problems taking oxygen from the water at under 70 and over 90. The upper 70s is generally a comfortable range. I've seen the water get down to 74 (water changes in which temperature matching didn't work out) and up to 83 (hot summer days in a room where the AC wasn't keeping up). The 74 was just until the heater brought the temperature back up, and the betta didn't seem bothered. At 83, he started getting lethargic and hung out at the spot farthest from the heater. As long as the temperature isn't fluctuating, the upper 70s should be fine.

AquaticQueen

It's a difficult thermometer to read. I took another look, and it's at 77. He isn't glass surfing anymore and is back to patrolling and weaving through the plants.

From what I've read, bettas start having problems taking oxygen from the water at under 70 and over 90. The upper 70s is generally a comfortable range. I've seen the water get down to 74 (water changes in which temperature matching didn't work out) and up to 83 (hot summer days in a room where the AC wasn't keeping up). The 74 was just until the heater brought the temperature back up, and the betta didn't seem bothered. At 83, he started getting lethargic and hung out at the spot farthest from the heater. As long as the temperature isn't fluctuating, the upper 70s should be fine.
The temp was probably the problem.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
thatfishlover122
  • Question
Replies
Views
oliviawilliam2017
  • Question
Replies