Glass surfing gourami Question

1. zinnaerris Member Member

So I've had these 2 gouramis for 2 weeks now. The bigger one is coming out of his she'll finally. However more and more the past couple days he's been glass surfing... for the past 2 hours he's done nothing but glass surf.. back and forth up and down and extremely fast. Has my little buddy lost his bananas?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

He is getting used to his aquarium.
    Well, either that or there is something wrong with the water.

3. Maxi1 Member Member

I got 3 pearl gourami a couple of weeks ago and a couple of them started that after a few days. Reminded me of the pacing an animal does in a cage. Thankfully, it only lasted a few days. If I were you I would check your water, though. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. afoifa Member Member

Can he see his reflection? I know a few of my fish used to and did this, caused some stress so I just wrapped the sides in some cloth and turned the lights off and it helped a bit, took over a week to fully calm though

5. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

My dwarf gourami would do the exact same thing. There are a few theories... water quality; boredom; fighting a reflection; or just getting used to a new tank. My 15 gallon is pretty heavily planted to reduce boredom, but he would still surf and I know the water quality was perfect. I put some water lettuce on top and now he goes in and out of the roots hanging down. He'll still surf from time to time though. IMHO, labyrinth fish, like gourami, can get easily bored with nothing happening at the surface. I don't think it would lead to stress/disease unless it was happening absolutely all of time.

6. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Are the defo male/female?

7. zinnaerris Member Member

I think they're both males but sexing these guys seem difficult. Usually he picks at stuff to keep busy. I did a water test and ammonia and nitrites are 0 nitrates is at like 10. I'm planning on doing a water change when I get home from shopping. I have lots of decor that he swims around in but no live plants.

8. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Giggs will occasionally chase his reflection when he's being mardy and catches his reflection.x

EDIT: Mardy/Grumpy

9. zinnaerris Member Member

Ok I'm thinking he was just in a mood. He is now starting to chase the little one around. I think it's a female. It's much smaller than the other one and it has little to no coloring... it's not often and they for the most part swim by each other with no problems... do I have to worry about becoming a grandma? Lol I've no idea what their sexy dance looks like.

10. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

If you have a female, lucky you, because I've had a hard time finding a mate for my DG. I can't speak to the exact mating habits, but I know the male DG would usually construct a bubble nest before mating.

11. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Aybe misread but what Gouramis are we talking about? What color do they have. If two males there will be a point they'll fight until the weaker one is killed !!!
    Maybe you can place some pics.

12. zinnaerris Member Member

Here's a couple pictures. Maybe you guys can help me sex them! The more vibrant one is much much larger than the other one.

Attached Files:

13. zinnaerris Member Member

I went to my lfs turns out I have 2 females!

Sent from my LG-D851 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

I'd say the first is a male, but it looks quite poor.

15. zinnaerris Member Member

Yeah I have talked to many people and we can't figure it out. He swims around fine and has a great appetite and he is very social. He's just really pale and small. I think it's just from all the inbreeding with gourami these days that may be what's up with him. I am trying to rehome the big one. She is starting to pick on the little one.

16. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

To be fair : I'd keep the healthy one, which looks great. I seriously doubt the other is gonna make it (sorry) looking at the pic.

Regard Aad

17. zinnaerris Member Member

Well there's no place for me to take the sick one. My lfs is called the wet spot and they will only take healthy fish as donations. If they sell you a sick fish they will not take it back.