Glass surfing for months?

oliviawilliam2017

i got another betta late february, and he has been glass surfing ever since. the tank is an 11 gallon cube. it’s been about 3 months and he has not stopped glass surfing. my parameters are fine, tank is cycled, tank is consistently heated, has filtration, is heavily planted. i recently put a bunch of tannin extract in the water to help lower the ph and help with stress, but he still behaves the same. i also got 5 neon tetras yesterday because i thought that maybe they would help him if he was bored. he is so brightly colored, he’s even changing colors (in a good way). he’s eating and overall is healthy. he sometimes makes bubble nests as well. does anyone know if prolonged glass surfing is normal?

A201

Many years ago, Bettas were marketed as Siamese Fighting Fish. One could buy a fish bowl with a small attachable mirror.
The Siamese Fighting fish would tirelessly fight its own reflection until the mirror was removed.
Your situation is probably related. A particularly dominant male attacking his own reflection in the glass.

Upvote 0

oliviawilliam2017

Many years ago, Bettas were marketed as Siamese Fighting Fish. One could buy a fish bowl with a small attachable mirror.
The Siamese Fighting fish would tirelessly fight its own reflection until the mirror was removed.
Your situation is probably related. A particularly dominant male attacking his own reflection in the glass.
good point. he doesn’t flare at himself though, and he has tetras in his tank that he is completely fine with and he doesn’t bother them. although you are probably right. when i block the glass with my hand he seems to back off and get confused. i just wish i could stop it i don’t want him to be stressed.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Doom
  • Question
Replies
Views
thatfishlover122
  • Question
Replies