Glass Surfing Betta

FamilyFriendlyFelix

So my Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami died a few days ago, I'm not 100% sure on how he died because he appeared perfectly healthy. I did a big water change after I found my gourami dead. So, besides that, I decided to get a betta. He acted normal for an hour or two and then I noticed him glass surfing. Is this normal for the first day? I have already done a water change to make sure the water quality isn't bad and I reduced the flow on my filter so that he doesn't get pushed around a lot. My tank is 10 gallons and has two Nerite snails and two peppered cories. I know that two cories isn't enough, I'm trying to fix that, so please only keep it focused on my new betta

Also, I thought I'd add a little more info. When he glass surfs he flairs his fins almost as if he is squaring off with another betta and he's fully colored up. So I'm probably over thinking this and he's just trying to fight his reflection or something isn't right in the tank

aussieJJDude

Any picture of the tank?
Bettas normally glass surf when there's not enough ornaments and they can see their reflection on the glass - like you said. Increasing plant mass for example will stop/reduce this and help him calm down.

KakeHugs

Hes either seeing his reflection but it's normal

NotCasper

I can confirm with aussieJJDude, I just got a little bit of dwarf water lettuce and my dwarf gourami stopped glass surfing instantly.

BReefer97

You have to mess with the tank lighting and the lighting in the room. He's probably seeing his own reflection and that's usually a lighting issue. I would fix it so he doesn't stress himself to death.

Takoma11

Had the same thing happening to me as well with my betta. Being a newbie to the whole thing, I knew too much of it would stress him out in the long run, came to the forum for advice. Added more plants in , blacked out the background and worked with the lighting and he's much better now.
I figure one of those maneuvers did the trick

tillemasam

Most likely he is just seeing his reflection. Get more decorations and plants for him to hide behind.

FamilyFriendlyFelix

Most likely he is just seeing his reflection. Get more decorations and plants for him to hide behind.
Will do

FamilyFriendlyFelix

You have to mess with the tank lighting and the lighting in the room. He's probably seeing his own reflection and that's usually a lighting issue. I would fix it so he doesn't stress himself to death.
My lights are just the lights that came with my kit :/

FamilyFriendlyFelix

Is there a certain type of plant that would do good at blocking his vision?

FamilyFriendlyFelix

I just rescaped it before I turned the lights out. Is this a good start?
c2b29800b6c9998654d790c2d579e66f.jpg

FamilyFriendlyFelix

Those are water spots on the back just in case you're wandering

BReefer97

Not just tank lighting, but the room lighting and where the tank is placed makes a big difference too. You can cover the sides with a light colored construction paper or buy a back drop at a LFS. I had an issue with my tank whenever I had my tank lights on, but the room lights off. He would start flaring at himself within minutes. I have a blue light setting on my light which does the trick, but I'm assuming yours doesn't. You have to play around with it to figure out what's going to work.

FamilyFriendlyFelix

Not just tank lighting, but the room lighting and where the tank is placed makes a big difference too. You can cover the sides with a light colored construction paper or buy a back drop at a LFS. I had an issue with my tank whenever I had my tank lights on, but the room lights off. He would start flaring at himself within minutes. I have a blue light setting on my light which does the trick, but I'm assuming yours doesn't. You have to play around with it to figure out what's going to work.
I'll tape some white printer paper to the back and sides until I can buy a background or change the lighting. Would a rgb light strip that has a remote to change the colors and brightness be good? I'm not in the position to buy an expensive light

FamilyFriendlyFelix

I'm also looking into inserts. Just wondering whether or not putting them on the side would be a good idea. I would probably need to paint the outside black so you can't see the foam

BReefer97

I'll tape some white printer paper to the back and sides until I can buy a background or change the lighting. Would a rgb light strip that has a remote to change the colors and brightness be good? I'm not in the position to buy an expensive light

I can't say for sure it would work; the one you have now should work as well. It really does just depend on where the tank is and where the other lights in the room are. You could play around with it but a light that you could change the brightness on sounds like a good idea.

FamilyFriendlyFelix

The tank is on my dresser along the wall and the room light is on the ceiling in the center of the room. The room light has warm white bulbs. I'll probably change them to cool white so that they're a little brighter and the same color as the lights on my tank

Aegnis

Not sure if it helps, but bettas can also act weird for the first week while they're getting used to things. It's entirely possible he's seeing his reflection, but it also could just be that he's figuring out his space. My betta liked to do laps around the edge of his tank to figure out where it ended so he knew where he was, and he stopped after a week or so.

If you're certain he can't see his reflection, and his health seems good, it might just be that he's exploring. He'll probably relax after a week or so in his new home.

FamilyFriendlyFelix

Not sure if it helps, but bettas can also act weird for the first week while they're getting used to things. It's entirely possible he's seeing his reflection, but it also could just be that he's figuring out his space. My betta liked to do laps around the edge of his tank to figure out where it ended so he knew where he was, and he stopped after a week or so.

If you're certain he can't see his reflection, and his health seems good, it might just be that he's exploring. He'll probably relax after a week or so in his new home.
I figured he could be doing that too since he's fully colored up and he eats readily. Just to be safe I'm gonna buy 0% window tint vinyl cling so he can't see his reflection. My gourami that passed away did the same thing for a week and a half, I just didn't think anything of it

FamilyFriendlyFelix

Update: I got two new plants, both are different species of Swords. I saw a few pieces of duckweed that hitched a ride when I got them. I'm hoping the duckweed will multiply and cover a little bit of the tank because I've read having floating plants helps because it gives them cover. And yes, I know duckweed grows like crazy, I already have a few ideas for keeping it contained in one of the corners of my tank

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
oliviawilliam2017
  • Question
Replies
Views
Doom
  • Question
Replies
Views