Glass or non-glass?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Thunder_o_b, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

I looked but did not find a thread on this (sorry if I missed it)

I am not ready yet, but the day is coming when I will move to a much larger aquarium setup. We are in the 30 and 44 gal range right now. I have in the past had 55's. I have given thought to moving into the world of salts, but for many years wanted to recreate the Amazon river environment. Most likely will be in the 150+ gal range. I have ideas on specialized installations for photo gear. But that is another thread :)

I like the idea of the shatter resistance and lighter weight of the non-glass, but know nothing about them.

I am looking for your thoughts and guidance. Thank you.

2. hoboValued MemberMember

One vote for glass

3. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

I have a 2g that is non-glass and it scratches easier than all my glass thanks... though it is heaver I would always stick with glass... just my opinion... in the end it is all up to you :)

4. Mer-max

Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

Glass

5. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

3 votes for glass! would anyone like to give the pros and cons for us nooblets? :)

6. Tigress Hill

Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

Non-glass (usually acrylic), scratches WAY more easily than glass does. I just got a brand new acrylic tank and it now has several deep scratches down the front from sand being carefully dumped into it.:(

Glass all the way!;)

7. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Thank you for the responses. I favor glass, but I have a scratch from a rock many years ago on the front panel of the 44 pent. As I under stand it some (all?) of the non glass can be polished out so you can not tell that it was scratched. My major concern is the optical quality, glass is known to be of good optical quality.

8. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

9. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

10. ryanr

For the best (IMHO) optics, go for starfire glass. It's more expensive, but doesn't contain the green tinge that typical aquarium glass does. BUT, starfire scratches easier than regular glass. I have starfire on my reef, and am super careful when cleaning.

11. grfresconero

grfresconeroValued MemberMember

Is starfire the extra baked glass ,just asking cause i asked to make one myself and the manufacturer said it would have to be that.

12. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

I keep my male bettas in their own 2 gallon non glass fish tanks . I love them for SMALL tanks but in larger tanks it would just look like a Tupperware container. Go for glass. It seems hard to care for but with the right filter you won't get algae and glass cleaner for the outside

13. ryanr

Starphire aka Starfire aka Crystal Glass.
    It is lead and iron free, meaning it doesn't distort the 'picture' no matter the thickness, giving it great clarity.

Here's a good comparison:  

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice