Question Glass or acrylic?

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've been preparing to purchase a new home for my 2 balloon mollies - who we all know, are not living in the ideal home. I have it narrowed down to a standard 20 gal rectangular glass tank or this: because there is limited wall space at my mom's... and because it's acrylic, which i hear is less prone to leaking.

So, what do you think, glass or acrylic?
Anyone have good or bad experiences with either?

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As for the two tanks in mind, I would personally recommend the 20 gallon long as you have MUCH more options when it comes to stocking with a long tank then you do with a hex. Most fish prefer horizontal swim space, though there are a few exceptions to that. As for glass vs. acrylic I think that's a personal choice, but here's a link that will help you weigh out the pros and cons of each to help make your choice.

http://www.firsttankguide.net/tanktype.php

Craig-D

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The tank you have pictured is a hexagon, not a rectangle. I don't recommend them because of the lack of surface area at the surface for oxygen exchange and relative lack of horizontal swimming space for the size. Rectangles and squares are the best aquarium shapes in my opinion.

Glass vs. acrylic is a matter of preference. I've owned both and they have their pros and cons. Acrylic is stronger and lighter, but it scratches oh so easily and is more expensive. Glass is heavier, weaker, and as you noted can leak if there are seems that were not joined correctly. But it holds up much better to scratches. Having had both, I prefer glass because of the scratching issue with acrylic. I couldn't stand all the scratches my old tank had after just a year. It really uglies up the tank. Glass won't leak if you invest in a good quality seamless model. My Oceanic Biocube has no seams at the corners, so it's just one piece of molded glass that looks as if it imust be acrylic. But that model is extremely costly.

bmbeyond

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
In my experience with with both, I prefer glass to acrylic. Mainly because the glass will not get fine scratches as easy as the acrylic when cleaning. I like to see a crystal clear tank when I'm spying on my fish. The acrylic tank I have does not look as clear as the glass tanks.

crystalized

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
well also, if you only want to have 2 ballon mollies, the hex wouldn't be too bad, although if you want to add more later on, would be better to start off with rectangle though..

Had a hex one with 2 guppies, then my guppies made me change the plan, lol...bought a small breeding tank, then after a while, I needed a bigger tank, So i just got a rectangle one and put all the fishes in there... and used my hex for betta fishes..

but really...if only 2 molly?...why not hex..looks good too..thats ONLY if 2 mollies that is..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom