Glass Or Acrylic? Question

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Rocco04, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Rocco04

Rocco04New MemberMember

The new tank I have was a gift and I’m not exactly sure if it is glass or acrylic! Very dumb question on my part but, better to be safe than sorry when buying cleaning equipment lol

2. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Can you post a photo? Acrylic is pretty light compared to glass. What size is it? Most big tanks are glass

3. OP
    OP
    Rocco04

Rocco04New MemberMember

IMG_2479.JPG
    It’s not big, 10 gal

4. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

It looks like glass to me but I'd need to feel it to be sure. It looks pretty thick tho.

5. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

From the way the light is hitting the top rim it kind of looks like glass. Does it have a brand name on it?

6. OP
    OP
    Rocco04

Rocco04New MemberMember

I’m like 99.99% sure it’s aqueon

7. kallililly1973

It looks like glass try to get a shot of the corners does it have silicone? It’s obviously a rimless

8. OP
    OP
    Rocco04

Rocco04New MemberMember

IMG_2480.JPG
    Meant to say im like 99% sure it’s aqueon

I guess aqueon is a banned word ? It doesn’t show on my screen when I post it :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2019
  9. Wraithen

WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Can you post a better photo of the corner of the clear part? From the side?

Going from the looks of the rim, I'm pretty confident its glass. We dont need a picture of the rim though. We need a picture of the joint. If it looks like it's two pieces joined by an almost opaque line, its glass. If it looks like the two pieces were made as one, its acrylic.

10. OP
    OP
    Rocco04

Rocco04New MemberMember

It’s totally glass then. You can see it was put together for sure. I also read online that the green tint to it when you look at it in the light means glass as opposed to clear acrylic

11. kallililly1973

Yes i agree that was my original though from the way your light was shining on the rimless top. Very nice tank. Good luck with it!!

12. OP
    OP
    Rocco04

Rocco04New MemberMember

Thanks !