Glass lids and tank lighting/heating

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Kimberly4403, Jul 18, 2015.

1. K

Kimberly4403 Well Known Member Member

Ive always wondered does the use of glass lids on a fish tank effect the tanks ability to temperature regulate?

Would a tank with full glass lid maintain temperature more than i tank without a glass lid?

Also does full glass light impact the PAR levels that a light unit gives to planted tanks? Would they recieve more PAR etc without a glass lid?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

The small percentage that the glass would refract or take away from the lighting is minimal. If that was enough to effect the plant life in your tank...you need a stronger light. Also..the evaporation and minerals that would form on the fixture would be a pain to clean off. That crud that forms on the glass top that is easily wiped away with a soft cloth or in extreme cases...white vinegar...is the only thing that can affect light penetration. Keep the top clean..(easy) or the light fixture..(harder) Also less chance for shock...JUST in case you mishandle something and drop the light. Your fish will hate you and you will learn new words!

3. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Agree with chrt396, a full glass lid will retain tank heat and help prevent evaporation.

4. AndyVE

AndyVE Valued Member Member

Agree with above statements!

have 2 tanks a 5.6 with a partialoy covered glass lid

And a 33G with a full lid.

both are in the same room next to each other.
    When i do my WC i do them on both.

Never can tell the water evaporated much in my 33G,
    but in my 5.5 i can see it almost evaporate.

last WC was last monday and you can see how much it evaporated.

In my main rank i hardly could tell if the level had dropped (if so only 1-2mm)

5. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

My water is so hard I have to constantly clean the film off the glass lid so I took it off. It was less of a hassle to top off the water when it needed. I have no fluctuations in heat either.

6. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

Yep...it looks kind of nice as well. The only problem is that you have to watch out for that kamikaze fish that likes to jump to his death...and it plays a number on the electronics of the light fixture...even if it is water RESISTANT. Lets not mention if you mishandle the light and sends a few amps through the tank. I can see your fish now...just swimming around...shaking their heads. LOL

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice