Glass Lid?

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How thick should a glass lid for an aquarium be? My tank is a 20 gal long and I want the lid to be roughly 30in x 12in, not fitting inside the lip. I will have to cut a hole for the heater wire and HOB filter. I will have a finnex stingray razor LED light laying diagonally on the lid.
So....how thick should it be? I plan on going to Lowe's so it can be cut there as well.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
1/8" should be fine honestly. You dont need anything too terribly stout. You could go 1/4" but as long as its just a lid then you wont have any weight on it. Plexiglass is cheaper and might work better for you.

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Never thought about plexiglass...must research that now!

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If I were to go with glass, would a 3/32 inch be okay? I haven't seen anything in store, trying to get an idea online, so there might be thicker pieces but just as a precuation.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with NavyChief20. I use 1/8” cut glass and it works perfectly. It’s cheaper than plexi too. I tried plexi at first, actually, but it wasn’t thick enough, and it would eventually warp and bow in the middle, touching the water’s surface. I don’t recall the thickness of it, but it was quite flexible.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thunder_o_b said:
Be sure to run emery cloth over the cut edges. They will be very sharp.
Thunder is absolutely right, Emory cloth (basically cloth backed sandpaper). Those edges will be really sharp.

If you go the plexiglas route you want 1/4" cause it will blow over time. Since it's a 20 gallon you aren't talking about a huge run of plexiglas so you should be ok. Cutting the glass for your filter and heater wire could be tricky.

If you do get glass my recommendation after you Emory the edges is tape off the glass except for a 1/8-1/4" border all the way around. Then get some plastidip from lowes and shoot the glass with that. Nice good edge coverage. This will give you a rubberized edge for your lip and minimize future issues with cut fingers or cords or on your filter.

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I know Lowe's cuts glass at their store, was planning on doing it there.
Lots of responses by the way! Like jeez, thank you everyone! Never knew there was so much information about glass lids lol

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’ve bought all of mine on-line, about $30 for a 30X12. Why I like them is the 3-4” plastic back that can be cut with an exacto knife for filter, power cords, air lines. And are hinged in the middle.

But cut glass from Lowe’s is probably cheaper.

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Found this at Lowes, it's got the exact width, 12in, I would just need to take off 6in on length. As for the holes in the lid, it will be a 2in x 8in rectangle in the corner. I moved the heater next to the filter so there wouldn't be two holes. It's just the feeding hole I need to think about.
I will probably be doing the lid this weekend so any input would be fantastic.
The thickness is my main worry, is it good to go or no?
IMAG5170.jpg

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thats about 1/16 in. pretty thin and it would be a royal pain to cut and not break.

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That's what I was scared of lol. I wonder if I could find a thicker piece of glass somewhere else and have Lowe's cut it...wonder how much they would charge. I say that because the other pieces of glass were the same thickness except for the mirrored kind.

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Never heard of those stores, gonna have to look them up now. Thank you!

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
they might have something or might be able to point you in the right direction. I know my glass stores are super friendly and helpful here up north....especially when they hear the southern drawl

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I emailed the Ocala glass and mirror about my lid and the dimensions of it, hopefully I will get a response tomorrow.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sweet! Like i said they may be able to hook you up or they might charge alot but I bet they know some good glass places. In the end its a networking win cause you learn whats available.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom