glass lid

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by blt4ever, Jul 16, 2015.

1. blt4ever

blt4everNew MemberMember

Hi all, i recently got a 75 gallon tank given to me, its a 2004 model tank, I found a sticker on the bottom with a build date beforre I filled it. It did not come with a lid so i went to the hardware store and bought some thin plexiglass and some hinge material and built a lid myself but over time the plexi has started to sag in the middle and is almost to the point of touching the water. I have gone to several aquarium stores to find a glass lid but they all have told me due to the tanks age they dont carry a lid to fit anymore. All of the lids I can find are about 3/8" of an inch too small. I can buy glass at the hardware store to make my own glass lid but it is un tempered glass which I am leary of using in the event it shatters it will fill the tank with glass shards. Any ideas on where to find a lid for an older tank? The glass pieces need to be 16 5/8" x 22 3/4"

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

3. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

What are your tank dimensions? I have a 75g that is 48"x18" (the footprint).

4. Gvilleguy

GvilleguyValued MemberMember

Amazon has the All Glass Versa Top glass lids (which is owned by Aqueon). I have purchased two of them, and they fit well on non-Aqueon tanks. If you search for Versa Top 48 it brings up a listing for two of their 24x18 lids. However, if you look at the Q & A section, the exact dimensions of each lid is 22 1/8" x 14 1/2". The depth of 14 1/2 is supplemented with a 2 inch plastic edging that can be cut to make it fit better. So this sounds like it is sort of close to what you need.

5. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yea I had those Versa Tops from Amazon in mind as well... I had 2 separate glass lid panels that came with my tank. Unfortunately, one broke so I need to get a replacement also..

6. Gvilleguy

GvilleguyValued MemberMember

Honestly those are the best lids I have ever used. Light weight but not flimsy.

7. OP
    OP
    blt4ever

blt4everNew MemberMember

thanks for the replies, the sliding top idea looks great and easy enough to make