glass lid

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by blt4ever, Jul 16, 2015.

1. b

blt4ever New Member Member

Hi all, i recently got a 75 gallon tank given to me, its a 2004 model tank, I found a sticker on the bottom with a build date beforre I filled it. It did not come with a lid so i went to the hardware store and bought some thin plexiglass and some hinge material and built a lid myself but over time the plexi has started to sag in the middle and is almost to the point of touching the water. I have gone to several aquarium stores to find a glass lid but they all have told me due to the tanks age they dont carry a lid to fit anymore. All of the lids I can find are about 3/8" of an inch too small. I can buy glass at the hardware store to make my own glass lid but it is un tempered glass which I am leary of using in the event it shatters it will fill the tank with glass shards. Any ideas on where to find a lid for an older tank? The glass pieces need to be 16 5/8" x 22 3/4"

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

What are your tank dimensions? I have a 75g that is 48"x18" (the footprint).

4. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

Amazon has the All Glass Versa Top glass lids (which is owned by Aqueon). I have purchased two of them, and they fit well on non-Aqueon tanks. If you search for Versa Top 48 it brings up a listing for two of their 24x18 lids. However, if you look at the Q & A section, the exact dimensions of each lid is 22 1/8" x 14 1/2". The depth of 14 1/2 is supplemented with a 2 inch plastic edging that can be cut to make it fit better. So this sounds like it is sort of close to what you need.

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yea I had those Versa Tops from Amazon in mind as well... I had 2 separate glass lid panels that came with my tank. Unfortunately, one broke so I need to get a replacement also..

6. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

Honestly those are the best lids I have ever used. Light weight but not flimsy.

7. OP
    OP
    b

blt4ever New Member Member

thanks for the replies, the sliding top idea looks great and easy enough to make

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice