Glass Hood Recommendations

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by mossman, Jun 26, 2018.

1. m

mossman Valued Member Member

Just bought a 20 long (Tetra brand) and looking for a nice transparent (acrylic or glass) hood, with the ability to create cutouts for wiring, tubing, and an HOB. I like the looks of the Aqueon Versa-top, but the reviews are pretty negative. Looking for alternatives. I see Marineland makes one as well. Looks almost identical. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  2. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Aqueon Versa-tops work great. You can't really go wrong with a piece of glass... the reviews deterred me as well, but I've had no problems whatsoever. Topfin has an identical glass lid, but it's basically the same as the aqueon.

On Amazon the lids can be pricey, but here they're much cheaper:   I ordered a 5g lid for only 8.99. If you spend $19 dollars, shipping is free, so you could always add some fish food to your order.

3. OP
    OP
    m

I noticed Amazon is more expensive, surprisingly. I found the 30" Aqueon at Petsmart for $18.99. Looks like they have the Top Fin one as well.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  4. OP
    OP
    m

I got the 30" Aqueon yesterday. Pretty decent. Not sure why they decided to use a tinted brown plastic as opposed to clear for the hinge and handle. Looks kind of "80's" to me.

What's the best way to go about trimming the rear plastic piece to fit around the HOB filter and other accessories? Should I notch the piece to fit around the HOB, or just cut it in two pieces and attach a piece on either side? I imagine a Dremmel tool with cutoff disc would be ideal for this.

5. penguin02

I used scissors and cut around the HOB

6. OP
    OP
    m

I don't think scissors will work, but I'll consider it. I'd think it would crack.

7. penguin02

Is it the bendy plastic? If so then it worked for me. But I don’t want you to try it if we have different models or something, because my glass wasn’t brown

8. OP
    OP
    m

You mean black ABS? No. It is thicker clear plastic with a channel that snaps around the glass hood. I believe scissors would destroy it. I'm certain a Dremmel would work. Just wasn't sure if it made sense to notch it around the HOB or cut it in two and put a piece on either side. The latter would be easiest and evaporation wouldn't really be a concern.

9. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

The Aqueon VersaTops are much better quality than MarineLand (I have both). I use scissors to cut the back plastic strip. You can use a dremel with a sanding drum to clean up the cuts (I do). Using a cutting wheel, it will melt the plastic or take a very long time if you keep the rpm's down.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice