Glass fish that's been painted, or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The aquarium that I inherited came with some sort of clear fish that has several florescent yellow markings. It has two just behind the head (one on each side of the body), one along the spine, behind its fin, and one on the belly, directly below the spot on the spine.
It looks like a glass fish that has been painted, but I'm not sure. I've heard that the dye such sellers use fade from the body with time, but these have not faded at all. The person before me had the fish for I don't know how long, and I've had it for around six months at least. I don't think the dye, if that's what it is, is going anywhere.

The biggest reason that I want to find out about this is that the fish always acts kind of skittish. I'll know more about how to care for it once I know what it is.

Thanks in advance for any help.

sick-lid boy

Valued Member
Reaction score
If he looks something the fish in these pics, chances are pretty strong he's a Painted Glassfish. I've had this guy for around three months and his dye is starting to break up.

clear.gif

clear.gif

Attachments

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry, I meant to say that I don't have a working digital camera right now. I've got a couple of good pictures of him, but they're on film and I don't have them developed yet. When I do, if I haven't verified, I can scan one and post it.
He looks kind of like the one in the photo, but not as metallic looking (though that could be due to the flash).
I'm guessing that's what he is. I wonder if they just found a dye that didn't break up as fast, or if pockets of it stayed in tissue. Your fish is colored in the same places as mine, just more of it. Mine just has the four little dots.

zer0o7

Reaction score
I have 2 painted glass fish and have had them for several months months. The dye is fading but it will take time. The dye will fade but from looking at my 2 painted glass fish it seems that the length of time it takes for the dye to fade depends on the amount in each fish and the fish its self.the dye seems to be fading at diffrent rates in the 2 diffrent glassfish..I could be wrong but that seems to be my experince...hope that helps

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
zer0o7 said:
I have 2 painted glass fish and have had them for several months months. The dye is fading but it will take time. The dye will fade but from looking at my 2 painted glass fish it seems that the length of time it takes for the dye to fade depends on the amount in each fish and the fish its self.the dye seems to be fading at diffrent rates in the 2 diffrent glassfish..I could be wrong but that seems to be my experince...hope that helps
have those fish ever acted different than the other fish? or gotten sick more, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 30 66.7%

Top Bottom