glass cruising still

Discussion in 'Kuhli Loach' started by featherblue, Dec 20, 2012.

1. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

I got 6 kuhli loaches on the 15th and acclimated them to my QT. they were panic swimming up and down the glass in the corner theybpicked as "safe". 5 days later they're still panic cruising the glass. The QT is really basic. Its usually just 2 fake plants, but I added rounded gravel and a half coconut to make them a little more secure. I also laid the plants on their side to give them more cover.

Should I risk a short QT so they're less stressed? Their home tank is full of drift wood and heavily planted.

Should I cover the tank partway to make it half a cave? The tank gets sunlight and overspill from the t5 on my puffer tank

Any other ideas or suggestions?

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

That's pretty common behavior of them. Stick to your schedule :)

3. OP
    OP
    f

First time with a QT as well.......anything specific, other than ich, I should be watching for? They all seem to eat at bed time whenni drop winna few thawed bloorworms. Other then periodic spas glass swimming they seem fine so far

4. Jaysee

I use the quarantine period to treat for parasites. Also, I use it to make sure they are eating the staple food. It's important that the fish are eating that well before you put them in the main tank. So while its good that they are eating bloodworms, you ought to try to get them on pellets, or whatever you normally feed.

5. OP
    OP
    f

They're going into my dwarf puffer tank, or at least that's plan one. The puffers get live blackworks and snails, and frozen bloodworms. I read the kuhlis were carnivores, would bloodworms be a bad staple diet? I could put in pellets for just them, my puffers wont touch them.

6. Jaysee

Yes, bloodworms are a bad diet. A high quality pellet should be the bulk of their diet.

7. OP
    OP
    f

Suggested pellets, or live/frozen choice? All my other aquatics are on as close to natural diet as possible, or a species formulated diet (shrimp)

I have Betta pellets....I think theyre the xtreame brand

8. Jaysee

Mine eat NLS thera A exclusively - I don't feed live/frozen/freeze dried foods. They spawned the other day, which I hear is pretty rare. I put a video up. It's got to be doing something right for them :)

9. Everythingzen

Everythingzen Well Known Member Member

I've got kuhlis who, like every single one of my fish, love the Thera a more than life itself. It's a ridiculous and excessive love for this food, honestly!

10. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Normal behavior for Kuhlis.

Mine eats NLS and whatever flakes make it to the bottom.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice