Glass Chipped On Corner Of Tank?

1. NYFishGuy

NYFishGuy Valued Member Member

Just got done building the stand and was moving the tank around and cut myself.
    How big a deal is this? its a 55 gallon, no leaks

chip2.jpg chip.jpg

2. RainbowJack

RainbowJack New Member Member

Wow, that is something I have not seen before. Don't you feel special! :) Kidding aside that is unique problem. I don't want to flippantly sway you. There are many variables. If I were 25 again with my 2 year old it would be a big deal. Likewise grandchildren. Otherwise if I were willing to modify over taking it back this is a suggestion. Get a cartridge of clear silicon or RTV. Put a nice layer all around. Allow to dry and apply again til nice cocoon protects you from it. So you may be frowning. So here is alternative greater tool requirement suggest. Assuming you have a Multi-Tool like Porter Cable makes get you a diamond blade. Trim it off even with plastic and thin cover with silicone.

3. OP
    OP
    NYFishGuy

Would you consider this a structural problem or just cosmetic?

4. RainbowJack

First glance I believe it to be cosmetc but I could be wrong. Appears to be a stray separate shard that got captured during the assembly by the adhesive. Probably area is kept clean roboticly but a swipe missed this shard. Hope that helps.

5. OP
    OP
    NYFishGuy

If you look closely at the bottom picture you can see this piece is from the back glass, it's like a perfect shaved slice.

6. RainbowJack

Thank sir, I see it now. My eyes are aging. Enlarged it a lot now I see, the explaination very helpful.
    I would consider that a structural weak point. It may hold today but down the road . . .
    Sorry I missed that you were very gracious.

7. OP
    OP
    NYFishGuy

Thanks for your input, It was hard to get camera focus and with my finger pulling the piece away it looks way bigger in the picture than it does to the eye.
    I tried to pull the piece up but its larger at the bottom and won't come loose. I wish this was at the top of the tank.
    I didn't pay much for it used but it's still a bummer to see this, first i was worried the top of the stand wasn't perfectly flat but moving the tank slightly removed a tiny wobble.
    I thought it was a glass fiber i cut my self on, then looked at it close and it looked like a piece of razor blade then i played with it some more and see exactly whats going on.

8. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

It appears to get larger farther down, I would cut the sealant out on the inside to get a better look and see how far in comes and if you could remove the bottom trim even better, but it can be a bear to get off sometimes and start from there, replacing the sealant on the inside and trim is pretty easy. Good luck

9. RainbowJack

That is what I noticed the shard gets larger further down which means the tank glass thickness gets thinner. So I'm with you there. Well since it is used and does not leak I would attempt a reinforcement.
    1. Remove the potential hand cutting point.
    I would approach this using the brittle nature of glass. Apply a chisel or a flat screwdriver edge against the exposed shard and rest against the black frame. Next use a hammer and tap gently once. If it does not break off tap again, a little harder. Don't approach from sides parellel with tank glass. Come straight in from outside corner edge. The relative gentle force will push it toward folding into itself. It should break off easier at this angle.
    2. Wear gloves and use extreme caution to apply and force silicone RTV into the small space between the tank glass and frame. Work it in like putty, deeper the space is filled the more strength it will add. This should extend down each side 1 inch or more if you like.
    That is the best option I can suggest. Hope that helps. Good luck!

10. OP
    OP
    NYFishGuy

Thanks for the advice, i took another pic. This angle is looking at the side of the back glass.
    I will probably go with just filling in the area and using it.
    chip3.jpg

11. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

As the tank is second hand & you probably have no chance of a return / refund I'd go for a repair. I'd use something like a baby hacksaw with a fine blade & cut the shard of glass off level with the trim & then flood that whole corner with silicone sealant.

12. RainbowJack

Awesome, that will work as well. Just watch those sharp edges. Wish you success!

13. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

Will it lay back flat? If so just glue it back down and fill with sealant, if not I would use a wire cutter or nippers to snip/break it than fill. This would be a good time to strip/re-seal the tank. Good luck