Glass Catfish?

lhenkin

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with glass catfish?  My son loves them.  I am a little worried that they may be too delicate for our tank.  Any thoughts on how delicate they are?

Thanks,
Leora

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They aren't THAT delicate - as long as you get them healthy. I wouldn't advise getting them from somewhere like PetCO - I bought 4 there and 2 of them died for no reason, other than probably poor health. I bought some from a GREAT pet store near me and all are living quite well.

Just make sure you acclimate them and they should be fine.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Glass catfish are very shy fish that grow to about 4-5 inches (probably smaller in aquaria). They like to be kept in groups or else they will fade away and die by themselves. A group of 6 would be ideal. I'd give them a bigger tank too, at least 30 gallons. If they're kept in small numbers or alone, they'll be hiding and not coming out even to eat.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Don't get them unless you have room for a shoal of at least 6 of them. They are extremely shy and will probably hide all day without enough buddies. They are really cool though. ;D

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They also don't like boisterous fish in the tank with them. They are very timid.
Carol

Callum The Cat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
lhenkin said:
Does anyone have experience with glass catfish?  My son loves them.  I am a little worried that they may be too delicate for our tank.  Any thoughts on how delicate they are?

Thanks,
Leora
glass cat fish are really cool i like them also but i agree with what everyone else was saying ;D Callum!

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
lhenkin said:

Thanks,
Leora
These fish should have no problem in your tank. They are absolutely GORGEOUS fish. I have 2 in my 35 gallon with 3 Tiger Barbs, and 2 Silver dollars. We got some special pellets with a bunch of yummy stuff in them but they would not eat them! My other fish LOVE them though. I feed my glass catfish normal Tropical Flakes. They like those. When you have your aquarium light on they will often hide because they are sensitive to the light, so if you want to see them in action, dim your lights. Remember, it takes them a little while to settle in. They also like dim lights at feeding (Not too dim, they have to see the food!), and they will eat like the other fish. Just make sure they get their share from more aggresive fish.

FishnFry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi lhenkin! I hope it's OK to join in your thread.

I am also thinking of getting these guys for my 130g but I also have a question. In my 130g, I have a breeding pair of BNs in there and so there's gonna lots of BN babies in there so I wonder if they would eat or bother these little guys. I have a colony of rummy-nose and white clouds in there already and they don't bother the babies.

Can anybody tell me if they do?

Thanks.

darkwolf29a

Valued Member
Reaction score
They won't eat the babies. They should be fine, honestly. We have 3 in a 29...among other fish, BNs among them. They're fine together. If they won't eat small tetras, neons, they'll be fine.

lili70

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have 2. When they are hungry they come out and I hand feed them with a droper (no fear) but they like to hide a lot during the day. Before establishing a territory they use to stand in the stream upper side on tank. But as soon as they found a decoration big enough to hide in ... they don't come out during the day.
From health pov they are hardy because I bought one in bad condition and he healed very fast (half dosage meds).
L

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom