Glass Catfish

1. Marc Well Known Member Member

How many should I put in a group? I'm setting up a 20gallon soon and I was going to move my Danios into it at first (if there was something drastically wrong with it they wouldn't die... better to be safe than sorry, even if the results come out safe) then put in some Pygmy Corydoras and 4 or so Glass Catfish.

It would be heavily planted, too. How do glass cats like plants?

Glass cats will eat flakes and live food, too, right?

I would typically use this as a breeding tank as well - I could just acclimate the fish to my main tank and leave the pygmy corydoras, right?

2. Jon Well Known Member Member

glass cats love to gather around plants and love to be in tanks with java fern or lace java fern

they arent shy when allowed to school

they will eat small flakes brine shrimp or worms

4 or so would be fine...

I am not sure what you meant by "just acclimate the fish to my tank and leave the pygmy corydoras, right?"
    could you explain this more intensively so i could see if i can help

*** also on a side note when they die they turn white... although this sounds cruel it looks reallly cool lol

3. Marc Well Known Member Member

Well, I know that most fish are unsuitable to keep in a breeding tank - and I'm pretty sure Glass Cats would eat fry. I wouldn't bother keeping the Zebra Danios in there too because they hassle all of my fish right now - don't want the extra stress on any fry. I have read, however, that pygmy corydoras are perfectly safe for and adept at cleaning breeding tanks.

4. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Marc, I have 6 zebras and 4 glass cats - they all swim around in a 10 fish school after lights out -- very interesting.. anyway these are very social animals, my 4 cats stay and wiggle around together (not one ever leaving the others side) all day long ;)

Very Cool Fish -- probably one of my faves :)

Also, they graciously eat flakes, and love live black worms

5. Marc Well Known Member Member

Thanks! I'll probably end up getting 4 then - hopefully then can get along as well with my Danios as they do with yours :)

6. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

im sure they will they seem to be very compatible :) in the pics I sent you - (the one labeled zebra danios) you can even see them together there,lol