Glass catfish question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Damo2439, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Damo2439New MemberMember

We have glass catfish in our tank, my girlfriend has noticed that on the top of the glass catfish body just behind its head there is a tiny spine that protrudes upwards, does anyone know what this is or what purpose it may have? We are thinking is may be the reminents of what could have been its dorsal fin over time and may be used as protection against predators when trying to consume them, but we really don't know. Any ideas??

2. qchris87

qchris87Well Known MemberMember

can you post a pic?

3. OP
    OP
    D

Damo2439New MemberMember

Lookup Ghost Catfish here

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2016
  4. BamBamSorg

BamBamSorgWell Known MemberMember

5. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

I'm not sure.....mine don't have that at all....so maybe it is a defect of some kind on that one? No idea!

Here's a group of mine

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  6. Fishoholic23

Fishoholic23Well Known MemberMember

I don't want to hijack the thread, but what's the minimum tank size for these guys?

7. bizaliz3

First and foremost they need to be in a school! And I would say 29 gallons or larger. Although they aren't very active fish they tend to swim in place just like they are in my photo. A 20-gallon might be okay, definitely a 20 gallon long...

8. OP
    OP
    D

Damo2439New MemberMember

that was a pic from the internet, i have 6 and they all have it, i never noticed it before my gf pointed it out but now that she has i've noticed the same thing in every1 i have seen, its really tiny and quite hard to see, maybe a weird uk strand? lol

9. bizaliz3

There are different kinds of ghost/glass catfish that look very similar. Maybe we have different kinds...

10. OP
    OP
    D

Damo2439New MemberMember

just done some moor looking around and found this, its a nothing case really was just curious lol

11. bizaliz3

Yeah I did a ton of research on these guys a while back when I ended up with a couple glass catfish that looks nothing like the rest of mine. Kind of fascinating isn't it? :)

12. OP
    OP
    D

Damo2439New MemberMember

it is indeed, i never really thought anything of it but as i said my gf just had to know, and now i know nothing more than vestigial fin :) lol well now she knows and we can move on with our lives haha

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice