Glass Catfish Hiding

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by Accents, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Accents

AccentsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +186
    Experience:
    1 year
    I recently got 4 new glass catfish! Previously, the store only got one, but it was actually doing fine and eating well. It was also active at feeding time and at night, but after the introduction of more catfish it started to hide a lot in the back and now it's not coming up to the surface to eat. I'm assuming that it is in the back so it can school with the other fish, so is there a way to tempt them out to at least eat at the surface? I can barely see them most of the time now and because I need to use a pipette to feed them the other fish are getting overfed.

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,997
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hi, I’ve never kept glass cats so don’t know their temperament.
    @Thunder_o_b keeps/has kept them so he may have some suggestions for you

3. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,110
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    What size tank, what tankmates, how much flow?

4. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,898
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Glass cats can be demanding. They need pristine water in a nonthreatening environment. They do not like fast moving or pushy tank mates. Also they like low light. I solve the light issue (I have very bright plant lights) by having places that give shade in an area large enough for the whole school to hang out.

The environment the aquarium is in needs to be quiet. No running in the house

Their food needs to be high quality. I feed Ken's flakes, frozen brine shrimp, Omega one flakes and frozen blood worms on rotation.

They have absolutely no way to defend themselves so the larger the school the better. They can get to 4" in length.

I keep them in larger aquariums (44 gallon and up) in schools of 9 and up.

They are a wonderful fish.

Part of one of our schools.
    _MG_5152-Edit copy.0.

5. OP
    OP
    Accents

Ratings:
    +186
    Experience:
    1 year
    I currently only have 5, but will definitely get at least 7-8 of them when the stores have more. Their other tank mates are 6 cories, 7 diamond tetras, and one pearl gourami. The diamond tetras are the most boisterous, not the catfish definitely root around on the ground with the cories when I feed them, and move around a lot at night.

My light is very dim, but they dash around to the back when I turn it on. I have several tall stem plants that they like to hide by, which they started using after I moved the Java fern that they previously hid behind.

I feed hikari sinking pellets and micro pellets daily, as well as frozen brine and occasionally frozen bloodworms on a bi-daily basis.

The tank is 47 gallons, cycled, and with a canister filter. There is probably medium flow? Since last water change I increased the flow so there is clear movement on top, and they seem to have no trouble swimming at night and the other fish seemed to like it.

My parameters are:
    0 ammonia
    0 nitrite
    5-10 nitrates
    pH of 8
    Temp: 78°F

Attached Files:

6. OP
    OP
    Accents

Ratings:
    +186
    Experience:
    1 year
    Btw, sorry about the glare! There is also one catfish right beneath the filter, which is one that I got earlier than the others.

My parents have a pretty heavy footstep and often cause vibrations, but for the vast majority of the day and most of the night the house is calm.

(I'm also aware of some algae which I manually clean off the plants and glass, but I let it grow on the back because I am waiting to get an algae eater and don't like having a completely transparent background.)