Glass Cat With A Broken Fin

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by cbaryluk19, May 10, 2018.

1. cbaryluk19

cbaryluk19New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    1 year
    I got home today was excited that my glass cat was out during the day, but then I noticed that he was swimmig vertically, just spinning in place. I found that the top of this tail fin is completely torn off. I moved him from my 56 gallon to my 3 gallon for my betta (because my 56 gallon is pretty brutal and I've never seen a fish struggle in there and survive)(yes I know bettas should be in 10 gallons, but I have an excuse). I can't keep him anywhere else but in either my 56 gallon or my 3 gallon, unless I pull out a bin from my basement and slap on a trashy filter that came with my 3g. I really want to help him get better. What should I do?

2. OP
    OP
    cbaryluk19

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    1 year
    Update: he MAY have fin rot. It's only the upper part of his caudal fin, or at least I think it is, he's moving to fast to tell. How should I treat that for catfish?

3. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,225
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Can you get a picture? 2 things, make sure he had somewhere to hide, they are shy fish and NO salt!! I’m 90% sure glasscats are scaleless like most catfish and salt (though sometimes helps finrot) will do a lot more damage.

4. OP
    OP
    cbaryluk19

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    1 year
    I will try to get a picture when I can, but right now he's very frantic. I pretty much only see him once a month, so he is constantly hiding in my 56 gallon, but the tank consists of hundreds of fin nippers. I have a surplus of guppy and molly fry, which also make the conditions difficult to manage. Right now he's in a 2 gallon bin with a sponge filter, heater, and ceramic mug to hide in.
    Although I can't get a good pic, I have gotten a few glimpses of his tail. It's a bit brownish and the edge is flaking (I think).
    Also, when I put him in my betta tank, my betta bit at him, so his pec fin might be hurt too, but I'm less concerned about that.

5. 2211Nighthawk

Ratings:
    +3,225
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Clean water is your best bet. It’s amazing what it can do. Especially on such a small tank, you’ll have to stay on top of them. Depending on how bad, you might have to go with meds, but be very cardeful with them.

6. OP
    OP
    cbaryluk19

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    1 year
    First of all, I know glass cats like soft and acidic water but I have no idea how to maintain that- would you happen to know? Second, are there particular medications I should avoid or use? Or is there a certain brand I should use for a fish without scales?

7. 2211Nighthawk

Ratings:
    +3,225
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Do you have a test kit for water parameters? The most dangerous thing (or one of them) is a sudden change in water conditions.

8. OP
    OP
    cbaryluk19

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    1 year
    I use test strips, but I don't have a full out kit with indicating solutions.