Glass cat fish problem

lili70
I have 2 glass cat fish in a 20G. For 2 weeks they stayed in the upper right corner of the tank. The tank is crowded but they didn't seem to be upset. They ate well, only frozen brine shrimp, chasing it. There is no aggression in the tank. But now they discovered the cave. All day long they swimm in the cave, holding spot like only glass cat fish can do. One is coming out for food. The other one is the problem. It won't come out. It's for a week already. That one is eating in the cave because the water current get food in there. If I take the cave out or change position that fish will find it again and hide in it. Should I worry ? The fish, as much as I can see it, doesn't look sick. Is it stressed by the environment ? How come the other one is bold ?
Advice, please.
L

lili70
It came out. it must have been soooo hungry. It was trying to feed with the sinking pelets for yo-yos.

That's the caracter:

1.jpg
No fear !

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
Good to know:
I added an extra hidding place (a bridge) and this might have helped.
Thanks.
L

COBettaCouple
glad he came out.

Barbrella
Glass cats need their own kind in order to behave and eat normally and can very well starve to death even with food, due to stress if there is only one or two.

Your 20 gal is too small for a proper school of around 6+, but try getting one more. Also, they prefer live food, or frozen live, like bloodworms.

TheEssigs
I have 4 glass cats, and they do "hover" together in the upper portions of the tank as well. If you watch them after lights out, they become really active. IME, they are all over the tank once the tank lights are either dimmed or off. I feed mine a variety of foods. Mine... eat flake, frozen & micro-pellets. On occasion, they also eat live fry (provided by an always pregnant swordtail).

You can try to turn lights down or off and then do a feeding. You may have more success with him eating then.

Good Luck!

lili70
Yes, during the night they come out, both of them. I fed them with frozen food.
Taking them back to Petsmart .... not a good idea. I hope they will do well in my 20 g. If not I can ofer them a empty 10 g ... if I move my princess - Gipsy.
So, hidding in the cave means that they are stressed ? If a find a little one, I'll get one more ....
Thanks a lot for advice !
L

darkwolf29a
You need, at least, 3. The more, the merrier with these though. We have 3 and they are just fine in the 29 they are in. They are very peaceful fish. And great fun to watch.

lili70
Thanks. I'll think about it ...

darkwolf29a
Interestingly, we have a lot less aggression in the tank, since we changed decorations around. We also added a bunch of water sprite. Everything like to be at the top of the tank, where they can play in the surface plants. It's very funny.

If you can find water sprite...I highly recommend it.

lili70
Well, I got the third one and a new cave and they are all in hidding but coming out for food and during night .
I'll let them be ..... they grow and look healthy and active.
I have a big surface plant but the gouramis like it too ... I'll try to find the one you said, darkwolf.
L

darkwolf29a
Gouramis and glass should be fine together. We have Pearls running around with glass catfish, neons, 2 BN Plecos, and a Rubber Lip.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• EmbersToAshes
  • Catfish
Replies
Views
EmbersToAshes
Replies
Views
BusterBot28
Replies
Views
Itiwhetu