glancing/flicking/internal paracite

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by zebra, Apr 9, 2006.

1. zebraValued MemberMember

So when it rains it poors I guess. Thought all was ok now with the cotton off.
    But shortly after one of the platies started glancing/flicking on a plant. Then shortly after the other did and so did a couple of the guppies, the angel then started glancing.
    **Went to the LFS...they suggested Quick Cure, "works fast and wont
    The one platy has gotten worse though is flicking alot more, shaking or convulsing at times when swimming and laying on the bottom with fins close to body hidden in a plant alot, but still eating. The other one(platy) is still flicking a little bit but not too much. The guppies and angel have not done any more flicking.
    **Do I need to raise the temp to 85 like I've seen you guys recomend and turn off the lights??
    **How long do I use this stuff?? LFS says most of the time two days.
    **But what happens if other fish are ok and same platy is not.
    **Is it possible that the new plants had a parasite attached, considering that the guppies didn't start the behavior until after the platie and the guppies where new to the tank. If guppies would have had fist wouldn't they have shown signs first?
    **Also worried because doesn't the med Knock you Cycle out of wack?
    **All numbers are good -- Using aquarium pharm. master water test kit.
    Gosh I Feel like I am emposing so much on you guys, but I really appreciate it,
    Thanks as usual, Sharon

2. atmmachine816

atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

I don't think it would be an internal parasite, are you sure it's not ich, if not maybe the flukes.

3. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Before adding Meds do a large water change. An ammonia or Nitrate spike can make them do the same thing. Water changes will lower those for you.
    When anything happens in your tank a water change is your best and first defense.
    Carol

4. OP
    OP
    z

zebraValued MemberMember

I have not seen any white spots at all so no ich.  However don't know about Flukes not sure of what that is.
    I did check all the numbers those are good.  I am nervous abouut nocking the cycle out of wack.
    Should I raise the temp and do a water change.
    I have already added the meds, did this before the post. 
    **So what I am wondering if it would be a good idea to do a water change add some salt and cycle and increase the temp.
    Thanks so much Sharon
    **Just looked on the cheat sheet--no flukes, the were glancing but there are no red spots and there are no problems with the gills.

5. Butterfly

Would not add any salt. Water changes can solve so many problems that its a good first line of defense. The meds may knock your cycle out of whack anyway. I would still do the water change.
    Carol

6. OP
    OP
    z

zebraValued MemberMember

I did the water change. 
    Is it possible that she could be pregnant? 
    I got her from LFS in community platy tank w/males and females.
    None of the other fish are showing any other signs of stress, since the last dose.
    How do they act if they are pregnant (platies)?
    She is eating just fine nothing has happend with her appetite.
    And just to let you know there is nothing showing externally...no bumps, lice, white or red dots, etc.
    She looks exactly as she always has.
    Her behavior is odd and today she is not laying on the gravel like she was yesterday
    Thanks, Sharon

7. Butterfly

Most livebearers come from the store pregnant so that is a distinct possibility. Glad she's better.
    Carol

8. chickadee

chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

The maximum dosage of Quick Cure is 1 drop per gallon per day for all tanks that DO NOT contain tetras (tetra tanks dosage is 1 drop per 2 gallons of water per day) for a maximum of 3 days. It says if more medication is needed to perform a 25% water change and repeat the treatment cycle. I would maybe repeat it one time but if I didn't see any change by then. I would go to something else. And YES if you think any external parasite is at work the temperature of your tank should be raised. In fact the rule is to raise the tank temperature any time you are medicating (82 degrees for anything but ich, 85 for ich) Raise your temperature to 85 and leave it there for 14 days and don't turn off the lights. Your fish have to have the lights on for at least 6 hours a day to produce Vitamin D the same way we need sunlight. It helps to keep their immune systems up. I do not know where the "turn your lights off" came from but the only time I do that is if I have an algae problem. (and then my light withdrawal is very carefully monitored so the fish don't suffer for it)

This is my opinion. If someone else has another, okay, but I have used Quick Cure and it is not as "quick" as the man at the fish store led you to believe. They advertise it to be the only 2 day cure for ich, but they don't know what they are talking about in my case.

Rose
    :)

9. Butterfly

Chickadee I think the lights out thing was if your fish were stressed. They are much calmer in the dark.
    I usually keep to my normal lighting schedule that the fish are used to.
    Carol

10. OP
    OP
    z

zebraValued MemberMember

Thanks you guys, I just think that I have one sick fish. Tried the water change, tried the meds, tried the temp increase(82, and it is still there) and am sticking with my normal lighting schedule, which is usually from the time it gets dark until time wake in the AM. But for my betta tank I keep light on during the day, per Chickadee, she said that bettas dont like to be in a dark room and light on in the tank. So he is very happy.
    The other fish in the tank are acting just fine, she is still not acting right, still flicking, shimmying, she is swimming around, but when she is not swimming with her fins she starts floating backwards, she is also wabling. But her appetite is still fine.
    I really dont know what to do. I really don't want to medicate again, I don't want to stress out the rest of the fish in the tank and make them sick and then have to deal with a completely sick tank. I've added cycle back to the tank to try to get some of the bennificial bacteria back.
    I guess I will try leaving the tank on 82 and hope that all goes away.
    Thanks, Sharon

11. OP
    OP
    z

zebraValued MemberMember

Thanks to Butterfly and Chickadee, but she did not make it.
    So sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a feeling that she was sick before I got her.
    Anyway, I will keep the water up at 82 to make sure to kill off anything that may be lurking, watch the rest closely. Probably not get anymore for at least three weeks, just to make sure that no one else is sick.
    Thanks for everything, Sharon

12. Butterfly

Sorry you lost her :( Sounds like you have good plans, keep a close eye on the rest of your fishes and let us know if you need anything.
    Carol

13. OP
    OP
    z

zebraValued MemberMember

Thanks.

14. chickadee

chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Oh, Sharon, I am so sorry. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :( :( :( :( :( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

It is always so devastating to lose a fish especially if you have worked so hard to save them. I know you did everything you could and you have the knowledge that you gave her a good home and she could have gone to someone who did not love her as much.

My deepest sympathies and bless you for the love you give your fish. I know they feel it and are better for it.

Rose
    :)

15. mistycheriValued MemberMember

Can you use the quick cure in addition to melafix or will it be a deadly combination?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice