Glad To Join

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by stang7606, Apr 13, 2017.

1. stang7606

stang7606 Valued Member Member

I have been reading here for the past few months, and though I would join to both learn and possibly help with what I have learned so far.

I just started a 13 gallon for my kids. Currently it is medium planted, cycled, and starting to increase stock. I am using a Quietflow 20, with ceramic rings and bonded floss, and intake filter instead of the cartridges provided. Seems to be working well. The tank is currently stocked with 1 Guppy, 4 Glo Danios, 9 ( I think since they are good hiders) Neo Yellow Shrimp, and 5 Nerites. I plan to get one more Danio (have one of each color), a few more Shrimp, and 5 Glowlight Tetras. AqAdvisor seems to agree this would be a good level.

Anyway, just wanted to say Hi and show what I have going on.

2. F

Fish Newbie New Member Member

Welcome! I am new too Wonderful people here!

3. meyowmeow

meyowmeow Valued Member Member

Your tank sounds beautiful! Sometimes AqAdvisor can be misleading. I think with a guppy and 4 danios you are already at max capacity. I definitely don't recommend adding the glotetra. A lot of people believe that danios need a 20 gal minimum so I feel you're already pushing the limits of the tank. I wish you luck!

4. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

Hi! Welcome to Fishlore :) I am rather new myself and couldn't be happier about being a part of this community.

Also, I've heard AqAdvisor is not always correct in calculating bio-load. There is some really great stocking help here though. :)

5. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

I believe it's the length of the 20g that makes it the recommended size for zebra/GloFish danios, because of their activity level. If this is the 13g widescreen tank, it's the same length as a 20g tall, so I think it would be fine. I agree adding the tetras as well might be a bit crowded...

Stang, welcome to FishLore! Glad to have you :) Have you considered just adding a few more danios? You could do a regular striped zebra and a leopard one in addition to the five GloFish, if you want more variety :)

6. OP
    OP
    stang7606

Thanks for the ideas. It is the widescreen 13, so it is 24 long. I was going to do the small Glowlight Tetras, not the glofish ones based off of WhiteSkirts, they seem to be much smaller, do you think this is still too much? I was wondering about it. I know Aqadvisor is just a tool, and just looking at sizes thought I had a little more room. Maybe I will just do 3-4 more Danios for a total of 7-8 and call it good, does that sound reasonable? I will have to look up leopard Danios, have not ran across them before. I am pretty limited on my stores around here, basically just the chains. I found one independent place, but once he found out it was a 13 Gallon, he just shut down, guess he wanted to sell more fish that I was buying.

thanks again, definitely trying to avoid any casualties, so far so good.

7. FishL:))

FishL:)) Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore!! :)

8. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't add a second school to this tank. However, if you like the bright orange of glowlights, you could probably add a couple male endlers! Also, leopard danios are a color variant of zebra danios. PetSmart sells them. They also have "cobra endlers" which are a guppy-endler hybrid that IME stays very small.

I'd do something like this:
    6-7 zebra/GloFish danios
    1 male guppy
    3 male endlers
    Shrimp and snails

9. OP
    OP
    stang7606

Sounds perfect, thank you very much. I just finished re-aquascaping. The plants are all growing like crazy. I may just stop at the 6-7 Danios too and leave it more lightly stocked. Thanks again

10. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!

11. Little Tank of Happiness

Little Tank of Happiness Well Known Member Member

Hi and welcome to FL!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice