Glad To Join

stang7606

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have been reading here for the past few months, and though I would join to both learn and possibly help with what I have learned so far.

I just started a 13 gallon for my kids. Currently it is medium planted, cycled, and starting to increase stock. I am using a Quietflow 20, with ceramic rings and bonded floss, and intake filter instead of the cartridges provided. Seems to be working well. The tank is currently stocked with 1 Guppy, 4 Glo Danios, 9 ( I think since they are good hiders) Neo Yellow Shrimp, and 5 Nerites. I plan to get one more Danio (have one of each color), a few more Shrimp, and 5 Glowlight Tetras. AqAdvisor seems to agree this would be a good level.

Anyway, just wanted to say Hi and show what I have going on.

meyowmeow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your tank sounds beautiful! Sometimes AqAdvisor can be misleading. I think with a guppy and 4 danios you are already at max capacity. I definitely don't recommend adding the glotetra. A lot of people believe that danios need a 20 gal minimum so I feel you're already pushing the limits of the tank. I wish you luck!

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi! Welcome to Fishlore I am rather new myself and couldn't be happier about being a part of this community.

Also, I've heard AqAdvisor is not always correct in calculating bio-load. There is some really great stocking help here though.

vikingkirken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Your tank sounds beautiful! Sometimes AqAdvisor can be misleading. I think with a guppy and 4 danios you are already at max capacity. I definitely don't recommend adding the glotetra. A lot of people believe that danios need a 20 gal minimum so I feel you're already pushing the limits of the tank. I wish you luck!
I believe it's the length of the 20g that makes it the recommended size for zebra/GloFish danios, because of their activity level. If this is the 13g widescreen tank, it's the same length as a 20g tall, so I think it would be fine. I agree adding the tetras as well might be a bit crowded...

Stang, welcome to FishLore! Glad to have you Have you considered just adding a few more danios? You could do a regular striped zebra and a leopard one in addition to the five GloFish, if you want more variety

stang7606

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for the ideas. It is the widescreen 13, so it is 24 long. I was going to do the small Glowlight Tetras, not the glofish ones based off of WhiteSkirts, they seem to be much smaller, do you think this is still too much? I was wondering about it. I know Aqadvisor is just a tool, and just looking at sizes thought I had a little more room. Maybe I will just do 3-4 more Danios for a total of 7-8 and call it good, does that sound reasonable? I will have to look up leopard Danios, have not ran across them before. I am pretty limited on my stores around here, basically just the chains. I found one independent place, but once he found out it was a 13 Gallon, he just shut down, guess he wanted to sell more fish that I was buying.

thanks again, definitely trying to avoid any casualties, so far so good.

FishL:))

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have been reading here for the past few months, and though I would join to both learn and possibly help with what I have learned so far.

I just started a 13 gallon for my kids. Currently it is medium planted, cycled, and starting to increase stock. I am using a Quietflow 20, with ceramic rings and bonded floss, and intake filter instead of the cartridges provided. Seems to be working well. The tank is currently stocked with 1 Guppy, 4 Glo Danios, 9 ( I think since they are good hiders) Neo Yellow Shrimp, and 5 Nerites. I plan to get one more Danio (have one of each color), a few more Shrimp, and 5 Glowlight Tetras. AqAdvisor seems to agree this would be a good level.

Anyway, just wanted to say Hi and show what I have going on.
Welcome to FishLore!!

vikingkirken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I wouldn't add a second school to this tank. However, if you like the bright orange of glowlights, you could probably add a couple male endlers! Also, leopard danios are a color variant of zebra danios. PetSmart sells them. They also have "cobra endlers" which are a guppy-endler hybrid that IME stays very small.

I'd do something like this:
6-7 zebra/GloFish danios
1 male guppy
3 male endlers
Shrimp and snails

stang7606

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sounds perfect, thank you very much. I just finished re-aquascaping. The plants are all growing like crazy. I may just stop at the 6-7 Danios too and leave it more lightly stocked. Thanks again

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom