GLAD TO BE HERE! Help pick my community! 50 Gallon Tank

1. uniman4 Initiate Member

So glad to be here, I have read this forum for months and been soaking in the info.

OK, so I am FINALLY taking the plunge into the freshwater world. Getting a 46 gallon Bowfront aquarium. Seems like a good size for my living room corner.

Anyway, I am sure I will have MANY more questions in the near future. For now though, I am researching and wondering what community of fish I should go with. Right now I am thinking this:

6 Tiger Barbs
    6 Tetras of choice
    4 Bosemani Rainbows
    8 Endlers Livebearers
    6 Harlequin Rasboras OR 6 Cherry Barbs (haven't decided)
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    1 smaller Pleco

So is this a good mix??? Trying to keep the "school" idea in mind as well. I am getting a filter for a 70-75 tank for extra filtration. I think going by max size I do have about 60" of fish here....

Think this will work?? Is this a good mix??? Will they get along?? I know the Barbers are probably the only concern but heard if i keep them at 6 minimum and add them last it should work.

Any advice and/or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! GLAD TO BE HERE AND LOOK FORWARD TO THE FUTURE ON THIS FORUM!!!!!

2. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Tiger barbs will probably fin nip the endlers to death but should be ok with the other fish (depends on the type of tetras you go for, black skirts will also get fin nipped)

Not sure about the rest but sounds interesting!

3. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to FL!

IMO your stock list looks just fine, except I'd suggest leaving out the tiger barbs. I think they'd harass a dwarf gourami. How about a couple more Boesemanis instead? Like other schooling fish, I think they should be kept in groups of 6 or more. Don't worry much about inches per gallon... IMO that's an antiquated guideline that leaves too much out of the picture to be reliable. Of course, you don't want to overstock, but the other side to the story is choosing fish that are compatible with each other, reach an appropriate max size for the size of your tank, having good filtration, and choosing fish that occupy different strata in the tank (won't get in each other's way too much). You've done that here, so congrats! :)

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!!!!

Id leave our the gourami and get the barbs LOL

we all have an opinion and thats the good thing about fishlore...I just adore the bowfronts and hope you share some pics :) good luck!

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fl! I am SO jealous that you are able to get your hands on endlers

6. Shadowbeam Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! :D
    I also love schoolers so I'm right with you there :)

7. uniman4 Initiate Member

Actually, I was just assuming I could get endlers at my local store. Are you saying they are harder than that to locate?? I will have to check.

Also yeah, I might just leave the Barbs out and get a few more of other kinds.

Unless I can't find the endlers, then my Barbs might be back in?

8. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I still think you may have problems with tiger barbs and a dwarf gourami, but that's JMO. I've had tigers in the past that got quite large... at least, large enough to do some damage to a DG. My vote is still with the Boesemanis, they are peaceful and will do great with your other fish.

What tetras are you thinking of keeping? I'd recommend rummynose for tight schooling behavior, or cardinals for a nice splash of color. :)

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore :)

10. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore! glad you decided to join ;)

11. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Sounds like it will be a beautiful and fun community tank! :D

12. phil saint Member Member

Hi and welcome........i have 4 green tiger barbs in with 4 dwarf gouramis and 8 tetras (4 glowlights and 4 black neons) i even had some neons in there untill i got my second tank, they all get along fine together, i would add the tiger barbs last or get some that are still quite small they are easily the most active in my tank and great fun to watch.

regards

phil

13. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

imo that is a risky move, just having the gouramis would mean trouble, im surprised your gouramis haven't ripped each other to shreds. i think you should have more than 4 tiger barbs, that is a small group and with tiger barbs you want a lager group. tiger barbs love to nip gouamis fins so watch out

14. phil saint Member Member

i'll keep an eye on them but iv had no trouble so far and its been a couple of month, thinking about it, it may be down to the fact that the tigers and gouramis tanks where side by side in the shop but iv seen no agression and no fin damage, as ever i'll keep a watchfull eye, cheers

phil

15. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Keep in mind that keeping these fish together for a month doesn't equal long term success with that stock list. Your fish are still settling in after a month and you may see some aggression later. Also, it's likely that your fish are still growing and you'll probably see aggression from them when they hit sexual maturity, especially the gouramis.

Tiger barbs are really a fish for a semi-aggressive tank IMO.

16. phil saint Member Member

well with all that said i might just have to use it as an excuse for the wife to let me get a third tank haha

17. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

LOL that sounds like an excellent excuse! :D

18. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

You can see from my stocking list in my signature that I have Odessa Barbs in with my Rainbows. The Odessa's get along fine with all of the fish, including the Dwarf Gourami's.

19. ViridiosExotics Member Member

The Barbs will nip the gouramis and live bearers to death, tetra wise I would go with some thing like neon, cardinals, glow light, lemon etc...

20. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

If you can find snakeskin barbs, they are an excellent addition to a community tank. They stay smaller than tigers and are quite passive with their tankmates.