Glad I found fishlore!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gordinian, Jan 5, 2013.

1. GordinianWell Known MemberMember

I am so fortunate to have found fishlore! I can only think that this is what could've happened to me if I hadn't found this site-

On a reptile forum I'm a part of, there's somebody asking for advice on what they should put in a 10 gallon. So I started giving appropriate advice. Then, along comes someone who "keeps" fish, recommending goldfish. I say no, just one needs at least a 20 gallon, you should just stick with a gourami, and maybe a couple guppies.

Well, then comes someone who says, I have a pair of GBRs and some cories in my 6 gallon, and it works great! *facepalm* Overall, some of the fish recommended were a betta sorority, emerald cories, clown loaches, angelfish, tiger barbs, GBRs, chinese algae eaters, and convicts. Along with the handful of decent answers like neons/cardinals, ADFs, or kuhlis.

It's hard to get anyone to believe that what I'm saying is right when there are so many other people saying the exact opposite. After a 5 page thread, I'm about ready to give up, and agree to 3 kuhlis and a dozen tetras (and who knows what kind the poster will go with) :/

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  2. Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

i am glad i found fishlore as well. lots of great advice/a nice place to rant/great way to give helpful advice/responses relatively fast. A+++

3. JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

it is super sad to see all that bad advice. like really?? If you don't really know than don't say it. and your fishes probably should be older than 2 yrs to be an "expert"
    i recently had a couple come in and wanted to do a sorority in a ten gallon. I proceeded to tell (and write down) this webside and Tigress' profile so they can look at her sorority blog.

4. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

You could always point them to threads here at Fishlore ;) You don't need to be a member to view threads.

Find me another fish-keeping forum that can generally answer questions within 20-30 minutes (normally quicker), 24 hours a day :) :) :)

5. Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

Good to know my experience may be used to prevent others from going through the same.

6. GordinianWell Known MemberMember

Oh I did, they made fun of me a little XD

I think I established that 12 is too many. Now somebody has recommended to "just run it for 5 - 7 days," then they'd be good to go to add fish. Looks like I'll be explaining the nitrogen cycle as well.

7. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Just post a link to Fishlore about the nitrogen cycle. Sounds like you're fighting a losing battle with the discussion. All you can do is offer advice, hope the OP takes it upon themselves to read other stuff.

8. soarlValued MemberMember

You can lead a peon to the fountain of knowledge but you can't make them drink!

9. GordinianWell Known MemberMember

Will do! I just found out they'll be waiting until the end of the month to add fish, so that's a good sign!!

10. JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

I got sad reading your blog... all the time and effort. all for naught. and these people were first time fish keepers. :eek: I just didn't want to see a potential fish addict, excuse me, hobbyist. :p get thrown off because they decided to do something really hard first.
    And i didn't want to see the girls get beat up for someones idea.
    I really like some of the girls we have. yes they're in those stupid cups, but when I'm working they all get fresh water and someone gets to go in the plant tank for a day or two :D
    right now a nice king betta is in there terrorizing the guppy babies.

11. AvaValued MemberMember

It would be hard to top that even for non-fishrelated forums. It's one of the many reasons I love this site. You can definitely feel the fishy love here. :D

12. EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Clown loaches in a 10g?! Holy...cow. That kind of brings to mind a clown loach kind of in an accordion shape like in cartoons when they get smashed between two objects, and stuffed in the tank. x.x

13. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Mini clown loaches are fine for a 10 gallon.

14. EiennaFishlore VIPMember

............You're not talking about mini. You're talking about teacup.

EDIT: And where, mr. smartypants, do you expect me to find them? XDD

15. GordinianWell Known MemberMember

I think they were talking full size clown loaches :)

16. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Mini clown loaches are slated for production in 2014.

17. EiennaFishlore VIPMember

You know, I wouldn't be surprised. It WOULD be rather terrific to have all that awesome Clown Loach package in a smaller body.

18. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I'm surprised no one has developed mini arowanas yet.

19. EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Now THAT's an idea.

It's tricky to do, though, because by the time they're full size they're kinda old. XP

20. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

It;s tricky to do because it requires gene splicing, I would think, to get one that tops out at 12 inches.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice