Gla Dry Ferts Dosing

jehorton

I decided to forego the seachem liquid ferts and try the EI method of dosing. I received the 4 pack of dry ferts from Green Leaf Aquariums and have read on their site as well as Nilocg and still haven’t made too much sense of the dosing. My understanding was to mix all macros in a 500 ml bottle and micros in their own 500 mo bottle and add water. But how much ml do I add per day? I am lost here.

Wraithen

I decided to forego the seachem liquid ferts and try the EI method of dosing. I received the 4 pack of dry ferts from Green Leaf Aquariums and have read on their site as well as Nilocg and still haven’t made too much sense of the dosing. My understanding was to mix all macros in a 500 ml bottle and micros in their own 500 mo bottle and add water. But how much ml do I add per day? I am lost here.
Have you used rotala butterfly?

jehorton

Wraithen

Its a dosing calculator. It will tell you how to dose.

Sorry, didnt get a chance to finish. Its a website that you input your dry measurements into a solution amount and then tell it what ppm you want in the tank. You input your tank size and it tells you how much to add to get your desired amount.

jehorton

Its a dosing calculator. It will tell you how to dose.

Sorry, didnt get a chance to finish. Its a website that you input your dry measurements into a solution amount and then tell it what ppm you want in the tank. You input your tank size and it tells you how much to add to get your desired amount.
Just went on the site and it’s great. My only question is do I just add that amount to the water on the macro/micro days? Or is that amount for the week? And I mix the macros in one container and use water to dissolve it and then add?

Wraithen

Mix your macros into the 500 ml bottle with distilled or rodI water, mix your micros in the other bottle with distilled or rodI water. No further dilution necessary.

What the calculator gave you is how much you need to add to get the water to that ppm. You kind of have to add your knowledge on what levels work best for you and how quickly that will be consumed in order to determine dosing frequency.

Eta: depending on nitrate consumption, you can use that as a rough guage to determine the rest of the nutrient uptake.

jehorton

Mix your macros into the 500 ml bottle with distilled or rodI water, mix your micros in the other bottle with distilled or rodI water. No further dilution necessary.

What the calculator gave you is how much you need to add to get the water to that ppm. You kind of have to add your knowledge on what levels work best for you and how quickly that will be consumed in order to determine dosing frequency.

Eta: depending on nitrate consumption, you can use that as a rough guage to determine the rest of the nutrient uptake.
Ok so I have gotten to that point but the confusing part for me is how many ml do I add per day? I don’t add the whole 500ml a day right? I’d like to know either a daily amount to add to the tank or a dry mix into a bottle and a ml amount to add daily.

Wraithen

I just did an experiment on the site and got this part at the bottom. Are you not getting the same type of notes?

Screenshot_20190107-200939_Chrome.jpg

jehorton

C627A107-C04C-4A97-93B4-17A2F1803ABE.png
I just did an experiment on the site and got this part at the bottom. Are you not getting the same type of notes?

Screenshot_20190107-200939_Chrome.jpg
I get this and it just says to add to my 55gal. I need to make a 500ml mixture of macros and 500 ml of micros and know how many ml’s to add to my rank on the days I am supposed to add. I must be missing that info somewhere.

Wraithen

I get this and it just says to add to my 55gal. I need to make a 500ml mixture of macros and 500 ml of micros and know how many ml’s to add to my rank on the days I am supposed to add. I must be missing that info somewhere.
Did you put a preferred dose size in the calculator? What size is your tank? The way it works is as follows:

I have a 500ml container. I want to dose 10 ml per dose to get my results.

The calculator tells you how much to add to that container to get an eI level dose to get you where you should be with that bottle, assuming a 10 ml dose. It will then suggest how often to dose based on your program.

I suspect you didnt say what size you wanted a dose to be.

Wraithen

Did you put a preferred dose size in the calculator? What size is your tank? The way it works is as follows:

The calculator tells you how much to add to that container to get an eI level dose to get you where you should be with that bottle, assuming a 10 ml dose. It will then suggest how often to dose based on your program.

Also, make sure you put diy instead of premixed near the top.

jehorton

No I didn’t see that. Nor do I know how much I wanna dose haha.

Wraithen

Do your bottles have a spot where you squeeze the bottle and a little reservoir fills up with lines to mark various levels? Kind of like 2 stroke oil if you're familiar with that.

If they do, I would just use 10 ml.

If they dont, use whatever is convenient. If you have a graduated syringe handy you can use that and get your 10 ml. I keep using 10 just because its an easy number and you shouldnt run into solubility issues with it.

jehorton

Ok now I see where I went wrong. I selected dry dose rather than a solution. I’m sorry if I seem slow to understand but now it only allows one input per calculation. So now I go through and figure the 3 others and add to same bottle ( macros ). Then after all in there add the water and shake up and add only 10 ml per dose days?

jehorton

Do your bottles have a spot where you squeeze the bottle and a little reservoir fills up with lines to mark various levels? Kind of like 2 stroke oil if you're familiar with that.

If they do, I would just use 10 ml.

If they dont, use whatever is convenient. If you have a graduated syringe handy you can use that and get your 10 ml. I keep using 10 just because its an easy number and you shouldnt run into solubility issues with it.
Yea I don’t have that squeeze one but I do have a 10 ml syringe handy always

Wraithen

Ok now I see where I went wrong. I selected dry dose rather than a solution. I’m sorry if I seem slow to understand but now it only allows one input per calculation. So now I go through and figure the 3 others and add to same bottle ( macros ). Then after all in there add the water and shake up and add only 10 ml per dose days?
That should work. It may take a while to get everything to dissolve. I think it took mine about 12 hours. I shook it like once an hour or so and by the next morning it was all good when I woke up.

jehorton

That should work. It may take a while to get everything to dissolve. I think it took mine about 12 hours. I shook it like once an hour or so and by the next morning it was all good when I woke up.
Ok yea I did see most sites get you to make the mixture the day before you add it.

Wraithen

Ok yea I did see most sites get you to make the mixture the day before you add it.
Yep. And a trade secret if you can't keep it in the dark, people add a tiny bit of excel to keep it from growing things if exposed to too much light.

jehorton

Yep. And a trade secret if you can't keep it in the dark, people add a tiny bit of excel to keep it from growing things if exposed to too much light.
Ok I’ll just keep it in the dark. Awesome. Thank you very much for helping me with all of this. I appreciate it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
wtusa1783
Replies
Views
jmaldo
Replies
Views
Stoner1993
Replies
Views