Giving Up.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Mary765, May 20, 2018.

1. Mary765

Mary765Well Known MemberMember

Hello.

I've had nothing but trouble with my 10g since I got it. It was second hand but I washed it with bleach. Had it for a few months now and all but 1 of the 6 fish I had in there have died.

Water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. Cycled. Some fish die from bloating though I'm not overfeeding and feed peas weekly, others just die with no cause.

I've always had algae problems in that tank. Lights are only on for 8 hours. No ferts. Not overfeeding.

I'm in an odd position with water changes. My tap water has 40-80ppm and so I only do a 10% water change every other week. Nitrates stay low and gravel clean.

My 5g is doing fine and always has been! In fact, I've had more luck with keeping 5 snails in sauce jar than I have with my 10g!!! My fish were happier in their tiny 2.5g back when I was new to the hobby and didn't know what I was doing.

Could it be that I'm just better at small tanks? It seems the larger the tank the more issues I have.

If anybody could suggest anything which could be the cause; please do. If you have no suggestions then I will give up with my 10g and stick to nano tanks.. which is a shame because there are so many beautiful fish I would love in a large tank...

Thank you for reading.
    -Mary

2. kayla.s

kayla.sWell Known MemberMember

First, what sort of fish were in the 10g? Also the tank isn't cycled if it's reading 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. If it was cycled you'd be getting a nitrate reading... how did you cycle the tank?

3. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

Is that nitrates in tap? And do you mean nitrites stay low?

4. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I'll reply for OP because I happen to know the answer, she has a huge amount of nitrates in the tap and uses something (I forgot what it was, sorry) I think nitrate crystals or something, to remove them from the tank. Also, I'm pretty sure it was fully cycled, but the stuff to remove the nitrates just removes them all.
    OP, I wouldn't be too concerned about algae, I don't think it means too much. I have one tank, no ferts, no nitrates, tons of moss, and there's always so much algae I have to scrub the glass weekly or else I can't see into the tank. It's a short photoperiod, and I do a blackout every few days. The snails and shrimp like it, so I leave it for the most part.
    But yeah, what kind of fish, where did you get them, and was bloating the only symptom for some?

5. Galathiel

GalathielWell Known MemberMember

I split my photoperiod into two sections, three hours in the morning and three hours in the evening. You might try something like that if you haven't already.

6. OP
    OP
    Mary765

@Rtessy thanks for explaining :D

I had just guppies. 2 adult females and 3 adolescent fry (And two or three fairly newborn). I've had them since September so I doubt it's something from the store! I got them from maidenhead aquatics (except for the fry which were born into my tank)

Yeah bloating/dropsy was the only symptom, And I only saw it in 2 of the 6 or so that died. One of those was caused by a damage to the slime coat after I had to remove something from her mouth and the other I have no idea.

I'll try a photoperiod to try to get rid of the algae thanks :)

Oh yeah, and for any of you who know me; no 10g tank means I can no longer keep guppies :(

7. Mazeus

MazeusWell Known MemberMember

Mary I am going to suggest something controversial: Snails. I keep loads of snails and I don't have issues with algae because they eat it! Shrimp could also work, a nice amano?

8. OP
    OP
    Mary765

I have snails in my 5g I could move over but I doubt that would fix the problem of my fish dying :(

I have been hoping to get shrimp but the ones at my lfs aren't very healthy right now so I'm trying to find them elsewhere :D

9. Mazeus

MazeusWell Known MemberMember

Have you checked Gum Tree? Some good deals to be had.

10. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

The only time I have heard of Dropsy being contagious and wiping out fish was when it happened to Solid Gold Aquatics on YouTube, and she was pretty sure it was some kind of parasite attacking the kidney. I know that's pretty far off, but it could be some strain of bacteria or something. It's pretty awful to throw medications at fish without knowing what you're dealing with, but in this case, you may want to...

11. OP
    OP
    Mary765

Not recently no, I'll keep my eye on it thanks ;)

What medications would you reccomend? All my fish deaths have been a while apart (2 weeks between at least, started dying at around January so there have been some longer death-free gaps)

12. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Kanaplex is a good treatment for dropsy and it's gentle, effective, but doesn't destroy the biological filter. It's an antibacterial, and has been effective when I've used it. Since internal parasites can go untected for a long period of time, you nay want to try some PraziPro, it'll kill most any worms but not snails. Kanaplex has also been invert safe for me.
    It almost sounds like there's something weird in the water. I had a similar issue with my shrimp, one would die every week or so and I couldn't figure it out. Then I found the Hydra.... that's pretty much definitely not what's going on in your case, but it may be worth taking an extra peek around just in case something weird got in, like dragonfly nymphs

13. emmysjj

emmysjjWell Known MemberMember

Don’t give up, Mary!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but can’t you keep guppies in a 5 gallon tank?

14. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I don't know if I would move them since you don't know what's causing it.....

15. wodesorel

wodesorelWell Known MemberMember

When I had weird trouble like this, I just went without fish for a while. Let the tank do it's thing, starve out anything that might have been attacking the fish, focused on some live plants to combat the algae. It's boring, but a no-fish tank takes almost no time to care for. I tried again with fish maybe 8 months later and had no issues.

16. OP
    OP
    Mary765

Thank you ever so much!! I will do a little online browsing to try to find some of the products mentioned :D

Mmm you can but they get stunted growth and over crowding issues. So they would live but I wouldn't reccomend it :( I have two male fry in there already as I'm keeping them until I am ready to sell and replace them with a puffer.

8 months?! I think I'd cave by then and start getting fish again :D

17. OP
    OP
    Mary765

I've thrown some general cure medicine into the tank a couple days ago and my one remaining guppy isn't looking too great. No obvious symptoms except for listlessness at the water surface, excessive jumpy-ness and fear, and a slight drain of colour. I hope it works or else I won't know what else to do..

18. OP
    OP
    Mary765

Update:

It's been almost two weeks of medicinal treatment and she seems a lot perkier! She has been swimming around the tank this morning exploring and begging for food.

She is still somewhat skittish and scared but has made a huge improvement! :D Will keep you updated!

If she continues to improve then in a few weeks It may be safe to add more fish again!

19. Hill Dweller

Hill DwellerWell Known MemberMember

Great news! It's sometimes just really hard to work out what's going on with sick fish, hey? I've been through a couple of bouts of just dumping in various meds and wormer and just hoping for one of them to work because it's nothing obvious. I mean ich is a pain but at least you KNOW it's ich just by looking at it. Vague bloating and listlesness on the other hand... argh!

Hopefully you can get some nice new friends for your little lady.

I saw this great video about algae ages ago... I'll try to find it and come back.

:)

20. OP
    OP
    Mary765

Thank you for the encouragement! I will keep trying and I won't give up until she is better or the tank is sterile again! :D

And thanks in advance for the video; I really appreciate it :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice