Giving Up.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Emuhlee, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Emuhlee

Emuhlee Valued Member Member

There has to be something else wrong with my fish. I have a ten gallon. Ammonia hasn't gone past .25 and everything else is where it should be. My kh is really low, but the guy at my pet store said it wouldn't matter. I've had my tank for about a month and didn't know about the cycling process, so I added fish. All died except one (vicky) she's still here...somehow. after getting my water fine and making sure everything else was good, I went and got a few more guppies a pleco and ghost shrimp. So 3 female guppies, 2 males, 1 pleco, 4 ghost shrimp and some guppy fry. They were fine at the pet store, swimming around all happy...bring them home, BOOM they just sit at the top or bottom not moving hardly at all. One pregnant one I have sits on the gravel and I swore she was dead because she wasn't even breathing...pretty sure she's not going to make it. I just want to give up...is it some sorta disease?

2. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

It's the ammonia! : ( If you can get some Prime then use it...ASAP, along with about a 30-50% water change. OK???

3. OP
    OP
    Emuhlee

I've already done that. My ammonia has been fine. Did a water change today and used prime.

4. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Give it some time ok? You even may need to get some ammonia remover for your filter as well.

5. OP
    OP
    Emuhlee

Time isn't going to help right now. One of my fish is fighting to stay alive right now, swimming upside down. My ammonia levels are good and so is everything else. :'(

6. B1GD4DDY

B1GD4DDY Valued Member Member

That is an awful lot of fish to add all at one time. Even if your tank was cycled in the one month, adding all of that stock at one time, in that small of a tank, would definitely crash your cycle. Besides this, 10 gallons is too small for any type of pleco. I suggest taking the pleco back. Could you tell us what your parameters are? A properly cycled tank will show 0 ammonia and you said you always show .25. What type of test kit are you using?

7. OP
    OP
    Emuhlee

Guy at the local fish store said it was perfectly fine to keep the pleco in there. He is super small and I'm planning on getting a 55 gallon in a couple of months. I'm using an api ammonia test lit. It doesn't always show .25 it hasn't gone past .25 it's been at 0. My nitrite is 0 my nitrate is 0 maybe a little more (strips kinda suck) my oh hasn't gone below 7.2 kh is really low and gh is 75

8. B1GD4DDY

B1GD4DDY Valued Member Member

The test strips are notoriously inaccurate. Most people here would suggest a good liquid test kit like API Master Test Kit. If you are moving up to a 55 gallon, then you are right, the pleco will be fine. In the mean time you are going to have a high bio-load in the small 10 gallon tank. It will be difficult to keep good parameters with the small volume of water. Another thing I was thinking, what temp are you keeping the tank?

9. OP
    OP
    Emuhlee

The guy at my fish store checked it with his test kit because I knew mine were wrong. I'm going to try and order one tomorrow if I can. Water is at 75-79.

10. OP
    OP
    Emuhlee

11. OP
    OP
    Emuhlee

Oops sorry. .I don't know why my phone posted 3 of the same pics...anyways. the pleco is on the rock. He's still super small and the guy at the fish store said he's fine for now until he grows.

12. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

I understand the wanting to give up thing. I’m there as well. But. You’ve just started this tank. And I agree it’s got quite the load on it. Hubby wants to know everything you’ve got in the tank from the substrate up. Says he’s never seen anything like it. But that info may help someone help you. I’m new to the guppy world and want to scream most of the time.
    How often are you doing water changes?

13. OP
    OP
    Emuhlee

I posted a picture, you can kind of see what's in there. I have dark blue gravel, pebbles, flat marbles. 2 fake plants, one big and one small, one real plant (no clue what the name is. Got it from a fish store) a big rock, an air stone, thermometer, heater, pothos (roots only) a breeder box that I made and a small wax heater thing. One of those things where you put a candle under is and the wax on top so it melts. Everything was cleaned REALLY well before putting it in.

14. OP
    OP
    Emuhlee

I posted a picture, you can kind of see what's in there. I have dark blue gravel, pebbles, flat marbles. 2 fake plants, one big and one small, one real plant (no clue what the name is. Got it from a fish store) a big rock, an air stone, thermometer, heater, pothos (roots only) a breeder box that I made and a small wax heater thing. One of those things where you put a candle under is and the wax on top so it melts. Everything was cleaned REALLY well before putting it in.

15. OP
    OP
    Emuhlee

As for water changes, I was told to do 25% daily because my ammonia was at 4ppm. Now it's 0-.25. I changed some today and I'm not going to until Friday, unless I see a spike.

16. j

johnbetta Well Known Member Member

its your ammonia in your tank your fish where not sick its better to cycle a tank for one month befor adding fish

17. OP
    OP
    Emuhlee

It's been about that. I really thought it was cycled :( I went in over my head...my brother, mom, and cousin threw fish right in after getting the tank and theirs are all still fine. I kill plants and I kill fish I have the touch of death D':

18. Gypsy13

I’m sorry, I should’ve said I’m blind so can’t see your pics. That’s why I had hubby look.
    Now, you have a candle heated what?
    And it is the ammonia. My perfect 29 gallon tank has been totally sent back into pre cycle chaos by helpful hubby and friends. I realize this is hard but you may have to do more water changes.

19. Gypsy13

Back in the seventies, that’s what we did. Buy the tank, plants, fish, everything and go home put it all together add fish. Rarely ever had problems. But. Today’s fish aren’t the same and our water certainly isn’t. Your family members are lucky.
    Don’t give up on your fish. Or yourself.

20. OP
    OP
    Emuhlee

It's a wax warmer. It looks just like a house you get at the pet store, only this was a dollar. No wax on it lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice