Giving Tinfoil Barbs to LFS Help

Discussion in 'Brackish Fish' started by ColumbianShark3, Mar 19, 2010.

1. ColumbianShark3

ColumbianShark3 Valued Member Member

My tins are in brackish water right now and if I give them to my LFS they will be in a FW tank is that to much shock

2. g

gunner13 Well Known Member Member

No not at all. They will be alot better off in FW as they are FW fish.

3. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Yes. Even though they're freshwater fish, the sudden shift in salinity will be bad for their cells. Acclimate them to freshwater first. If you've got a spare tank, put it on the ground near the brackish tank and fill the spare from the brackish, about 1/2 to 2/3 full, depending on how big the barbs are (you'll be doing a water change on the brackish tank, too. The fish will probably love you for it).
    Net the barbs and move them to the new tank. Slowly, perhaps a gallon every fifteen minutes, add fresh water to the tank the barbs are in. This will drop the salinity.
    Once the tank is full, start changing water out, again, a gallon every fifteen minutes or so. This will slowly lower the salinity for the fish.

4. OP
    OP
    ColumbianShark3

Yeah I was told by my LFS that they would do well in Brackish water and they really have thrived in Brackish, since they are 100% healthy great color very large

One is 6 inches one is 5 inches is a 10 gallon to small for just acclimating

P:S I could do one fish at a time

:animal0068:I've merged your back to back posts.
    Thanks!
    Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2010
  5. sirdarksol

No. Just for acclimating, that will be fine, and you shouldn't have to do only one at a time. Just be sure to cover the tank so they don't jump. ;) Fish can do okay in small spaces for awhile. It's just not nice to do it for extended periods of time.

6. OP
    OP
    ColumbianShark3

Yeah Iv picked one of these guys off the ground before but he survived it was pure luck he did it wile I was in the room, I learned my lesson quick

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  7. sirdarksol

They'll be more likely to jump if they're in a small space, particularly if you're messing around in the water.

8. OP
    OP
    ColumbianShark3

Got em in the ten gallon they are very angry lol they gave me quite the fight when I tried to net em up about broke my net lol

P:S tank lid secured

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice