Giving Plants Another Shot

  • Thread starter

BlazeitChris

New Member
Messages
41
Reaction score
6
Points
33
Experience
3 years
Hey Everyone,

I haven't tried plants in a few years due to them completely messing up my 55 gallon and burning a hole through my wallet, but I think I'm ready to give it another try. I have a few questions to ask before I actually make any purchases.

1) I was planning on using a Finnex Stingray Aquarium LED Light for the 55 gallon but I don't know if I should buy the 48" version or two 24" strips. The length of my tank is 48" but there is a center brace so I'm not sure if the 48" would fit correctly. I also believe the 30" will fit my 29 gallon fine.

2) I'd like to start off easy with low light plants and no co2 right now. I was looking at coffee leaf anubias, anubias nana, hornwort, frogbit, java moss, water wisteria, and water sprite. Is this a good list of easy, low-light plants?

3) What is a good site to buy plants from? In the past I've bought from dustinsfishtanks but his prices are so expensive. I have looked at aquabid, but the choices are rather slim.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you.
 

Ernest Sacco

Well Known Member
Messages
632
Reaction score
208
Points
88
Experience
5 to 10 years
BlazeitChris said:
Hey Everyone,

I haven't tried plants in a few years due to them completely messing up my 55 gallon and burning a hole through my wallet, but I think I'm ready to give it another try. I have a few questions to ask before I actually make any purchases.

1) I was planning on using a Finnex Stingray Aquarium LED Light for the 55 gallon but I don't know if I should buy the 48" version or two 24" strips. The length of my tank is 48" but there is a center brace so I'm not sure if the 48" would fit correctly. I also believe the 30" will fit my 29 gallon fine.

2) I'd like to start off easy with low light plants and no co2 right now. I was looking at coffee leaf anubias, anubias nana, hornwort, frogbit, java moss, water wisteria, and water sprite. Is this a good list of easy, low-light plants?

3) What is a good site to buy plants from? In the past I've bought from dustinsfishtanks but his prices are so expensive. I have looked at aquabid, but the choices are rather slim.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you.
Honestly even those low maintenance plants need co2....i understand your reasons for giving up on plants as I was in a similar predicament.....it came to the point where I was buying the plant fully knowing that over the next 2 months in would slowly dull and shrivel.....i went through 3 full sets in my 150 before I broke down and started dosing co2 and a weekly fertilizer....and the difference was immediate....currently my plants have doubled in size and even ones I thought were dead have started to grow back....co2 is essential
 
  • Thread starter

BlazeitChris

New Member
Messages
41
Reaction score
6
Points
33
Experience
3 years
Ernest Sacco said:
Honestly even those low maintenance plants need co2....i understand your reasons for giving up on plants as I was in a similar predicament.....it came to the point where I was buying the plant fully knowing that over the next 2 months in would slowly dull and shrivel.....i went through 3 full sets in my 150 before I broke down and started dosing co2 and a weekly fertilizer....and the difference was immediate....currently my plants have doubled in size and even ones I thought were dead have started to grow back....co2 is essential
The only co2/fertilizer I'd be willing to use would be root tabs by Seachem. They seem easy and hassle free but deliver results.
 

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,087
Reaction score
2,711
Points
453
Experience
More than 10 years
Easy plants aren't all that hard. Yes, they like some CO2 but not in the amounts that you're probably thinking. And they won't need a pressurized system (if that's also what you are thinking).

There are lots of options for you to try, and I think would do very well for your planting retry
 

Ernest Sacco

Well Known Member
Messages
632
Reaction score
208
Points
88
Experience
5 to 10 years
BlazeitChris said:
The only co2/fertilizer I'd be willing to use would be root tabs by Seachem. They seem easy and hassle free but deliver results.
I use all co2 boost....its easy and I actually get plant growth
 

Meowmy

New Member
Messages
44
Reaction score
33
Points
18
Experience
1 year
Just getting one 48" should be okay, I don't think the brace will be much of an inconvenience. Unless you have hoods to strap the lights to, the two 24" might put a little too much stress on the brace... Wait for others' input about this.

Check out bamaplants! Cheap prices, cheap s&h and kind staff.
 
  • Thread starter

BlazeitChris

New Member
Messages
41
Reaction score
6
Points
33
Experience
3 years
KinsKicks said:
Easy plants aren't all that hard. Yes, they like some CO2 but not in the amounts that you're probably thinking. And they won't need a pressurized system (if that's also what you are thinking).

There are lots of options for you to try, and I think would do very well for your planting retry
What kind of co2 can I use then? I thought with tanks as big as mine would render anything other than pressurized co2 useless? I took a look at seachem excel and flourish but I don't know anything about this kinda stuff :dead:

Meowmy said:
Just getting one 48" should be okay, I don't think the brace will be much of an inconvenience. Unless you have hoods to strap the lights to, the two 24" might put a little too much stress on the brace... Wait for others' input about this.

Check out bamaplants! Cheap prices, cheap s&h and kind staff.
I checked out bamaplants but they don't seem to have many of the plants I'm looking for in stock at the moment :/
 

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,087
Reaction score
2,711
Points
453
Experience
More than 10 years
BlazeitChris said:
What kind of co2 can I use then? I thought with tanks as big as mine would render anything other than pressurized co2 useless? I took a look at seachem excel and flourish but I don't know anything about this kinda stuff :dead:
No, you should be fine using excel as the CO2 source. Flourish supplies the trace minerals (nutrients) for plants. If you have any questions about anything, just ask haha. No biting here. It's a bit of learning curve lol
 
  • Thread starter

BlazeitChris

New Member
Messages
41
Reaction score
6
Points
33
Experience
3 years
KinsKicks said:
No, you should be fine using excel as the CO2 source. Flourish supplies the trace minerals (nutrients) for plants. If you have any questions about anything, just ask haha. No biting here. It's a bit of learning curve lol
Thanks! Can I use excel along with root tabs or would that be overkill?
 

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,087
Reaction score
2,711
Points
453
Experience
More than 10 years
BlazeitChris said:
Thanks! Can I use excel along with root tabs or would that be overkill?
Root tabs would be fine to use if you are using heavy root-feeders like swords and such.
 

ams083

Valued Member
Messages
94
Reaction score
52
Points
63
Experience
5 to 10 years
Check to make sure the LED lights you are buying are sufficient for plant growth. There are some cheap ones out there that won't deliver the required light spectrum for the plants. I know my LFS sells LED lights for planted and different ones for non planted.

I have a 55 gallon that is medium planted. I use Continuum Flora Viv and Continuum prolifera. I use about 8-10mls per week of both and my plants are healthy and thriving.
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom