Giving garlic to fish?

newfishmama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I read that you can soak the fish food in garlic and feed it to them to keep them healthier and help prevent disease. How exactly would I go about that? I bought a jar of garlic and it doesn't have any ingredients listed so I'm guessing there's nothing bad in it (the organic kind I found had citric acid, weird). All I have for them right now is flakes, I know I need more stuff, and dried baby shrimp. Do I mix some of the garlic and juice in with a bit of food or what?

I also read that for fin rot you might could add a bit of salt to the water by using their tank water to dissolve it...is that good or bad for freshwater fish? Did a 75% water change yesterday and 50% today and it's not getting worse, it's still very mild. No chemicals or salt, just the normal stuff for water change.

iloveengl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've never used the jarred stuff; if you don't know what's in it, I would be hesitant to use it. With fresh garlic, I peel a clove, smash it with a spoon, toss the mess in a juice glass with a few spoonfuls of tank water, and let it sit for a few hours. Then I toss the garlic chunks in the trash, add the dry fish food to the garlic water, let it soak a bit to absorb the water (to avoid bloat/indigestion), then dump it all in the tank.

I've also added straight freshly minced garlic and garlic soaked pea chunks to my tanks, and my little piglets eat it all. What you can do will depend on how picky your fish are.

I would focus on ensuring pristine water conditions before doing anything with salt in your tanks. Clean water will go a long way to curing fin rot.

newfishmama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, I forgot to get a can of peas but I will soon just because it's good for them. How often do you feed fish human food like that and what other vegetables are safe for fish in general? I will hold off on the salt and continue 50% changes. Is it ok to leave the fish in since the first change I took them out and cleaned everything? If I do used the jarred minced garlic do I put some juice in the bit of tank water as well as some garlic? Thanks!

AquaLady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes i want to kno the same thing lol. Does this work with any food? Live, freezedried, bpelets and flakes?

iloveengl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Caution: I do NOT recommend canned vegetables - they are very high in salt and can potentially do more harm than good.

I use the cheapest bag of frozen peas I can buy. Take a few peas from the bag and let them thaw. Remove the thin outer shell of the pea and throw it away. Chop the pea into quarters or so. Feed to fish.

It's especially fun to watch ghost shrimp eat peas; they turn green inside as they eat.

Herbivores that I've had tended to chow down the most on thawed peas, blanched zucchini, and sliced cucumbers. The cucumber may float - they make inexpensive clips to hold it down inside the tank.

For freeze dried foods, it's quite important to soak it. It makes pellets more readily digestible as well. It wouldn't do much for flakes, because they dissolve too quickly. Works well for adding immune boosters to frozen foods. I don't feed live foods, so I can't comment on them.

Edit for additional information. I feed my fish veggies once or twice a week. I just do it when I think of it. Too many peas too often may be a problem, as they act like a laxative, but that's just my conjecture. And you'll want to remove any remaining food after an hour if it's not eaten so you don't have ammonia or nitrate spikes.

Some juice with the garlic is fine to add.

And I don't see a problem leaving the fish in the tank during the water change so long as they're not too stressed by it. I tend to stress my fish more by trying to catch them, so I prefer to leave them be when I can.

newfishmama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OK that's good to know, I was wondering about canned or frozen so now I know. What kinds of foods are freeze dried, you're talking about fish food right? The baby shrimp I have is sun dried. I do have some pellets that are pretty big but they don't seem to like them anyways. They didn't like the flakes in garlic, you can soak the peas in it too right...

I wish I had ghost shrimp, that would be quite entertaining...kinda want to get something like that to put in the tank but I have no room. Eventually I will upgrade to a bigger tank, use my 30 for smaller fish, and keep my 5 for a QT, kind of excited thinking about it.

I think my fish were quite stressed when I changed the water and cleaned the tank yesterday, I'll be leaving them in for water changes from now on.

Thank you so much for your help, although another thread I had dedicated to fin rot questions but i think I got all the information I need for now. I'm glad I looked up info on it as well because I thought surely they were going to die but it is very mild and looks to be staying that way. Just happy they're chances of living are high.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Make sure the minced garlic in the jar has a water base and not oil.
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/minced-garlic-in-a-jar-just-an-example-for-those-needing-it.62705/

I use Garlic Guard on my fishes treats (Freeze Dried Krill and Freeze Dried Red Shrimp) twice a week:

(always presoak freeze dried foods)

You can create your own garlic juice by using fresh garlic:
"Benefits of garlic:

Purifies blood; detoxifies; lowers cholesterol levels; lowers blood pressure; blood thinner; prevents blood clots; boost immune system; prevents heart disease and strokes; destroys cancer cells; muscle relaxant; antibiotic; antifungal; suppresses growth of tumors
Using a medium size bulb; peel cloves apart, snip off ends; microwave cloves for 5 to 10 seconds to pop hulls; remove hulls; cut the length of the cloves in thin slices; place in cup of hot (from tap) water; cover, and let sit at room temperature for 12 hrs; mash the cloves and strain for immediate use; refrigerate until needed. good for two to three weeks.
The longer the cloves soak, the stronger the solution."

The information above comes from the link below:

Storing Fresh Garlic:

I also recommend Vita Chem for additional Vitamins:

You can also purchase fish foods containing garlic such as New Life Spectrum (NLS) Thera +A Small Fish Formula:

Yes, you can soak the peas in garlic juice as well.

Ken

newfishmama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I read the post about the garlic, that's where I first got the idea then read more. I was going to get fresh garlic but wasn't sure how to store it since I wasn't going to be using it all. Thanks for the additional info, I think I'll just use the minced for myself and get fresh for the fish. The jar doesn't have ingredients but it does say 1/2 tsp = approx 1 clove garlic, and I'm pretty sure it's in water. The store here only has 2 brands and there's no fish equipment at all where I live, not even food anymore.

I know I'm just a Newbie on here, but I'll probably update and I'm sure I'll have more questions. Loving this site! Very informative.

iloveengl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I keep my unused garlic bulbs and remaining cloves in a wire basket, but they last for months in any dry, cool area, like a cupboard or pantry.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom