Give me the scoop on cardinals.

Discussion in 'Cardinal Tetra' started by flyin-lowe, Mar 26, 2010.

1. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I was in a lfs store today that I have been using lately. It's a pretty small private owner type place and so far I have been very impressed with the staff. They are usually spot on with what I have researched before going in. Today I was buying some of the cory's for my 120g and I mentioned that I was going to stock it with angels and cardinals. The salesman today (1st time I've see him) told me that unless I had RO water that I would not be able to keep them. He said that in general the water in Indiana is way to hard for them and 2 weeks would be the most I could get out of them. He said something about they get a calcium (or some other type) of build up in them and will die. He said he used to live in North Carolina and he could keep them there but overall he said he did not want to sell them to me. If they need softer water that is one thing but without even knowing my water hardness (I don't even know it) I thought it was a pretty broad statement. I'm guessing 99% of the people who have tanks in Indiana aren't using RO water and every fish store in the state has cardinals so what gives? I told him I was looking at neons originally but was told the cardinals will get bigger. He said either species will be eaten by the angels if they decide they want to eat them but the neons would have a higher survival rate in the hard Indiana water. So he said if anything I should get the neons that the angles might eat as apposed to the cardinals that are sure to die.
    I need some help from the pro's on this one.

2. p

philipbouchard-davies Valued Member Member

Just kinda beside the point but if you get your neons and angels when they are small the neons will grow big enough so the angels wont eat them by the time they are full grown.

Phil :)

3. crazedACD

crazedACD Valued Member Member

Nothing specific here, I don't even know our water hardness, but I find neons to be much hardier than cardinals for whatever reason. I work at LFS, and I might lose one neon out of a dozen compared to maybe four or five cardinals.

4. JRDroid

JRDroid Well Known Member Member

Angels do like to eat cardinal tetras(and i'd assume neon as well). I had this issue in a tank my family kept a few years back.

5. jwokmuba2

jwokmuba2 Well Known Member Member

hi, i think that cardinals are way better than neons, i have 5 in my 30 gallon, they have better color and are easier to take care of than neons. plus you don't have to watch your ph level so closely.

if you buy the cardinals first and let them grow a bit before you purchase the angles, you might have a better chance of not losing them but its still a possibility, in the fish info it says cardinals like there water hardness around 2-6, so if you test your water you can find out if you can keep them.

6. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Cardinals grow larger than neons, so I think they are a safer bet with angels. Still, the possibility is always there that the angels will at least try to eat them. I have an angel that ate a cory- It was too big to swallow immediately, but we couldn't get it out of the fish's mouth! We thought for sure that we would lose the angel in addition to the cory, but eventually the angel was able to swallow it and is still around several months later.

If it's possible for you to find cardinals that are tank raised, they are going to be a lot less touchy than wild specimens. I say this from experience. Since you're using RO water (or at least part RO water), I'm guessing the employee is wrong if you start with healthy stock to begin with.

7. h

hyun007 Valued Member Member

I assumed that your Angel is around 6inches???
    Swallowing a cory!!!:;jaws
    I am amazed with my mouth wide open and a fly can fly in and U-turn out without problem!!!

I do have a few missing neon with my Angel but I never seen the Angel chasing them.
    The Angel only chased the big Molly and Platy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice