Give Me Everything I Need To Know About Cherry Shrimp.

1. Mojo!

Mojo! Valued Member Member

You heard me. Diet, temp, everything

2. VioletSS

VioletSS Valued Member Member

I'm setting up a 5 gallon for RCS.
    I read the forum here (there's an entire section dedicated to shrimp).
    I also found Marks Shrimp Tanks on youtube to be very informative.

3. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Everything is already in the shrimp subforum all you have to do is look.

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

You'll find they do best at temperatures at 74 - 82F.
    They are scavengers, and they graze off of veggies, dead plant matter, or anything else they find on the substrate.

5. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Temperature, best between 70-80 F
    They eat mostly biofilm that grows on plants and hardscape, sometimes algae, you can give them veggies and algae wafers too.
    They must have a GH of about 6 or higher, or risk dying from molting issues.
    Planted tanks are good for them because plants grow biofilm and provide hiding places for shrimplets.

6. PatrickShrimp

PatrickShrimp Valued Member Member

Also. For breeding, 26 degrees Celsius is where it's at. Plus they need protein.
    Also funnily enough. Some copper. Their blood is copper based. Don't be too worried if there is copper in your shrimp food, like hikari.

7. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Pretty sure you mean iodine, not copper.

They also don't have blood perse. They have hemolymph.

8. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

sorry couldn't "hear" you , I think my speakers arnt working properly :p

9. -Mak-

No it's copper, their blood or hemolymph as you say is copper based, called hemocyanin, unlike ours which is iron based. They need copper.

10. PatrickShrimp

PatrickShrimp Valued Member Member

The thing about copper is being bad for shrimp is only partly true.
    Here's a kinda bad example. Humans need oxygen. But we can't breath pure oxygen. We need other things in the air. Shrimp need copper. Just not a lot. I know, bad example.

Iodine is for helping them moult, although I have never used it for my shrimp.

11. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

The biggest no no for cherries is to put them in a newer tank, they do better in older tanks that have been running at least 4 to 6 months I'm not talking about a dirty tank, but one that has some alae and is well aged. The other most important thing is where you buy them. Some breeder mess with the TDS, PH, KH, GH,The only important things are ammonia and nitrites, and if you never change the water nitrates. The best shrimp are raised in tap water with just water conditioner, They're always the hardiest, food is anything on the bottom, or on ornaments or on plants like algae. I use sinking pellets with calcium to round out the menu. try to buy from a local breeder. and keep it simple and you'll be ok. :)

12. -Mak-

I really recommend the OP check their GH and KH though, sometimes tap water is too soft for shrimp. Mine is 0-0 and plants show magnesium deficiency within hours of being in my tap water, and I'm sure any shrimp would die from molting issues if I didn't remineralize.

13. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

There is a big difference between the hemolymph having a copper ion and them needing copper. Copper isn't good for shrimp.

14. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

Add driftwood and cuttlebone to your tank. Shrimp love hanging out on driftwood and the cuttlebone will help keep your GH and KH at good stable levels.
    IRT copper if it's in the fertilizer and the packages says it invert safe use it. If it's in the food it's ok to use. Do not add copper or medicate a shrimp tank with meds that contains copper.
    Bottom line Copper is not good for shrimp. Google it if ya doubt me.