Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Give It To Me Straight, Doc...

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Bubbles_and_Fins, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Bubbles_and_FinsWell Known MemberMember

AA2301CA-648C-4DAE-B738-0BFEE567FCF1.jpeg Is this duckweed?
    And why does everyone hate it so much?

2. midnaWell Known MemberMember

yeah
    it multiplies quickly, it's hard to get rid of, and it blocks light to plants below. some people just think it looks ugly

3. JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

What bothers me about it is how much it sticks to everything. When i do water changes and the water level lowers, even after filling the tank back up i have duckweed stuck to all the plants and driftwood in the upper third of the tank.

4. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

I don't mind it per se, but it is a nutrient leech, and I think there are floaters that look better

5. Bubbles_and_FinsWell Known MemberMember

Thanks y’all. It came hidden in my water lettuce when I got it a long time ago. I always thought it was baby water lettuce, because I didn’t know any better— they most definitely reproduce by runners, not random tiny plants appearing out of nowhere.

Yeah it sticks to pretty much anything. I’m honestly considering giving my water lettuce to my brother’s tank and leaving just the duckweed. I like how the roots are short and water lettuce roots grow so long that they curl on the floor three days after a trim. Ugh.

6. JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

I had the same issue! Duckweed got overgrown cos i thought it was red root babies. I was wrong...