Girl or boy molly? i need to know...

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
my molly seems to have both the analfin of a girl and boy. it goes down sometimes and looks like the guys or it goes up and its fin looks like a girls..i need to know because i am getting another molly, and i dont pant them to have babies. Also i was looking at the pictures in the sexing topis but my fishes analfin seems to be both. He is slender though, and i thought at first thats how u would know if its a boy or girl. thanks

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
can you post a pic? That would be helpful

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Hello, I have the same issue. I was sold this one as a gold female (platy!), but it's analfin is distinctly male. The only thing that puzzles me is its dorsal fin. Common mollies have a less elongated dorsal fin normally (male or female), sailfin males have a long fin, but way higher than this one, and male swordtail have, well, a swordtail. I wonder if it could be a hybrid between sailfin and another type of molly. Someone suggested it may be just too young to have developed its swordtaill. I caught it 'at it' with my females a couple of times, so very little doubt it's a male.

Here's a pic.

(Should I post this as a new string?)

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
yes..nobody is answering this one it seems....good luck i dont know

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom