Girl acting a little "boyish"?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by rae64, Apr 13, 2010.

1. rae64Well Known MemberMember

Just curious if this is completely normal or not-- my new (and still very young) girl betta is starting to swim around the tank half-flaring at things. She doesn't flip her gill covers (or whatever they are) forward, but she swims up, stops, and spreads all her fins out as far as they can go-- just like my male. She is also constantly quarreling with her boy neighbor. Her fins have also started growing rapidly, and she is really coloring up. Is there any possibility that she is actually a male, or is this typical female behavior?? (I remember critter's "Mimic" was sold as a female and turned out to be male... this is sorta what roused my suspicions... :) )

2. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

Lol my girls spend more time flaring then my boys :p
    It's completely normal in my experience. Wait till she starts gills and all lol. They're ferocious!

3. rae64Well Known MemberMember

She certainly has some attitude! Thanks for letting me know that she is experiencing normal behavior... lol

I've actually had to separate them due to a mishap where someone (AHEM Micah.... silly boy) attempted to jump the divider and missed.... I have another thread on that one.... scared me to death!

4. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Ahhhh! Shame on him!

Glad you caught them in time. :)

5. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

I think this is in the wrong thread... :p
    ROFL

6. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

That's what I was talking about, guess I missed that thread! :p

7. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

whoops missed that my bad :p
    rofl

8. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Rofl! ;D

9. rae64Well Known MemberMember

Haha Red, you need to read more carefully!!! :nono:

10. MartinismommyFishlore VIPMember

If she came from me there is always that possibility of them changing sex! lol.....Post a photo of her if you can....

11. rae64Well Known MemberMember

I will see if I can get a picture of her! She is so squirmy!