Girardinus Metallicus Not Doing Well With Endlers And Guppy Hybrids

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So when I first got my Girardinus Metallicus some years ago, I was told that I could keep them with Endlers, but I only started throwing my male Endler culls and some random guppy/Endler hybrids in with them a few months ago. Well, what do you know, I have had zero fry surviving since then. This may also have something to do with the fact that I switched from Repashy Community Plus Gel to crushed pellets as the filter was gunking up too quickly. Definitely, the fry had a better chance at eating the gel, so I've started giving it to them again every other day.

But really, the Endlers and guppy hybrids are just way more aggressive when it comes to eating and nab all the dero worms and daphnia on the days that they get live food, which I've been trying to feed to the GM's in the hope of improving their immune system. The GMs came from a university lab in town, and they keep keeling over half-grown without much in the way of symptoms. They were at least out-breeding the disease before the Endlers and guppy hybrids came into the tank.

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Endlers are ravenous little beasts. They would be scary if they had teeth. I've seen mine swarm 5 -6 inch male BN plecos and steal food. They also try to eat my hand when I clean the tank.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cichlidnut said:
Endlers are ravenous little beasts. They would be scary if they had teeth. I've seen mine swarm 5 -6 inch male BN plecos and steal food. They also try to eat my hand when I clean the tank.
And I thought mine were just kissing me Yikes, mine are convinced that nets will bring them food, too, and jump right in! I had a sad accident last week where I lost 2 because I didn't realize that they jumped in when I was skimming off excess duckweed. I'm now using a salad fork for their own safety

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
endlercollector said:
And I thought mine were just kissing me Yikes, mine are convinced that nets will bring them food, too, and jump right in! I had a sad accident last week where I lost 2 because I didn't realize that they jumped in when I was skimming off excess duckweed. I'm now using a salad fork for their own safety
Mine will happily enter a net. Or swim into my hand. I zip tie foam to my water changer so they can't swim into it, they still try though.

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've got my girardinus metallicus swimming with my tuxedo endlers. Both reproduce and go well together in that tank.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
emeraldking said:
I've got my girardinus metallicus swimming with my tuxedo endlers. Both reproduce and go well together in that tank.
I think it's because this group of girardinus metallicus has some kind of infection from the university lab room that they were kept in. They just keep keeling over, and I'm wondering if it's for the best that no fry are making it. Maybe I should just let them die off. Sigh.

Lacey D

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
emeraldking said:
Happy you had this experience! Girardinus metallicus are on the list of livebearers I was hoping to try, since I'd like to set up a brackish water aquarium. I fell hard for bumblebee goby, and basically tiny fish in general I'm starting with endler now, and was looking up to make sure my planned list could co-habitate.

Sorry for your experience, @endlercollector, but thank you for sharing it.

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
endlercollector said:
I think it's because this group of girardinus metallicus has some kind of infection from the university lab room that they were kept in. They just keep keeling over, and I'm wondering if it's for the best that no fry are making it. Maybe I should just let them die off. Sigh.
How's the situation with your Girardinus metallicus now?
Overhere a picture of my tuxedo (black flame ) endlers with the Girardinus metallicus black belly.
IMG_2863.JPG

Lacey D said:
Happy you had this experience! Girardinus metallicus are on the list of livebearers I was hoping to try, since I'd like to set up a brackish water aquarium. I fell hard for bumblebee goby, and basically tiny fish in general I'm starting with endler now, and was looking up to make sure my planned list could co-habitate.

Sorry for your experience, @endlercollector, but thank you for sharing it.
Well, Girardinus metallicus doesn't have to be kept in brackish water. They do well in freshwater.
I've started keeping another tiny livebearer recently. It's the Poeciliopsis profilica. Not that colorful but very interesting in behaviour.
IMG_2975.JPG

IMG_2983.JPG

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@emeraldking Thank you for posting the lovely photos! I always enjoy looking at your fish. What is it about the behavior of the Poeciliopsis profilica that sets them apart? I've heard of them but haven't run into them.

Unfortunately, my Girardinus metallicus look like they are dying off. I've gone down from over a hundred to about a dozen with no fry these past few months. Most are dying when they're just half grown. I'm thinking of putting the survivors in another tank to see if they'll reproduce apart from the Endler hybrids. I'm going to stuff it with plants and hope for the best.

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi again,

Well, the P.profilica is a really vivid fish for such a small livebearer. Despite of the fact that males do have the majority within a regular group, those females will not suffer from those males. Sure, those males will follow a female if they get the chance but if a female thinks "enough"is enough"... She'll let those males know. Result → those males will swim away from her. Also overhere about 70% is male and there's only harmony in that tank.

No idea what could wrong with your Girardinus metallicus that they die off so massively... Hope you can safe enough of them. I'll cross my fingers...

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
emeraldking said:
Hi again,

Well, the P.profilica is a really vivid fish for such a small livebearer. Despite of the fact that males do have the majority within a regular group, those females will not suffer from those males. Sure, those males will follow a female if they get the chance but if a female thinks "enough"is enough"... She'll let those males know. Result → those males will swim away from her. Also overhere about 70% is male and there's only harmony in that tank.

No idea what could wrong with your Girardinus metallicus that they die off so massively... Hope you can safe enough of them. I'll cross my fingers...
That's fascinating about P. prolifica males being so respectful. I've never seen that before

My Girardinus metallicus used to show a few signs before dying--slowing down for some days, hanging out just beneath the surface, some red gills, but now they show no symptoms. They just suddenly keel over. Every morning and afternoon, I find one or two dead on the substrate. The other big change was taking them off of Repashy Community Plus Gel because I was tired of how much it was gunking up the the filter, but now I wonder if they really needed something in that food that they're not getting in the ground up discus pellets I've been giving them. They never catch the daphnia and dero worms I try to give them as the Endlers gobble those all up. Our water is quite hard, just chock full of minerals, but I'm also wondering if adding salt would help. What do you think?

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, G.metallicus does tolerate some salt. But be cautious not to use too much. Overhere, the water is quite hard as well but they do just fine in it. But adding salt is worth to try...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom