Ginger to treat white spot?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Disease' started by Semiaquatic, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Semiaquatic

Semiaquatic Valued Member Member

Has anyone heard of this or tried it? I've been feeding three times per day with ginger in the food after losing two fish to white spot as no more have died so far. I don't if it's working but I've read positive things about it online. Just wondering if anyone on here has had experience with it

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. a

animalsareawesome New Member Member

i haven't heard of it but it sounds very interesting! what worked for me is to just turn the tank temp up to 79-84 degrees and for a week or two (no more than one degree every hour) and that cured five of my fish. the ginger sounds very interesting and i hope it works!

3. OP
    OP
    Semiaquatic

I'll keep you updated

4. OP
    OP
    Semiaquatic

So far no fish lost since I started adding ginger to the food! Knock on wood

5. a

animalsareawesome New Member Member

oh my gosh thats awesome! I'm so happy to hear that its working! i knew ginger was great for humans and now we know its good for fish too!

6. OP
    OP
    Semiaquatic

I must have started it too late because I lost another couple of fish but the three that are left are doing fine

7. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Is it actually clearing the spots? Ginger isn't an antiparasitic, it's a superfood. So it just boosts the immune system, and there's no real evidence it does anything for fish.

If you're still losing fish to ICH, it's time to start an actual treatment.

8. OP
    OP
    Semiaquatic

The ones that didn't already have it survived and have had no problems. It was a bummer to lose them but if I ever see any white spot again, I'm going to quarantine the fish and feed with ginger so it doesn't spread

9. junebug

Once you see ICH, it's too late to quarantine. Sorry, but I really think you're going about this the wrong way. Most of the time, ICH can be eradicated completely with few or no fish casualties simply by raising the tank temperature and adding salt.

Ginger is not going to cure it, and QTing symptomatic fish is not going to prevent the spread.

10. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

This is the saltwater section, marine Ich is different from freshwater Ich, whether ginger works or not I have no idea

11. junebug

LOL thanks Coradee, I didn't even notice. Oops.

Saltwater ICH is still an external protozoa, though. Ginger won't treat it.

Here is a really good article on the disease:  

12. OP
    OP
    Semiaquatic

Honestly, think I got lucky. I started trying to treat it after one had already died. If it did anything at all, It may have helped the unaffected fish from showing signs of it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice