Gill Sticking Out On Betta Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by WinterSoldier., Apr 8, 2019.

1. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gallons
    How long has the tank been running? over 2 months
    Does it have a filter? Yes
    Does it have a heater? yes
    What is the water temperature? 79-80 F
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
    Two male bettas separated by a divider, mystery snails (5) nerite snails 3
    Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? 1-2 weekly
    How much of the water do you change? Over 50 %
    What do you use to treat your water? Dechlorinator
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Its a walstad planted tank, so I just lightly sink my syphon into the gravel cap

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
    What do you use to test the water? Api test strips
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0.0
    Nitrite: 0.0
    Nitrate: 0.5
    pH:

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? twice a day
    How much do you feed your fish? 1-2 pellets
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? Aqueon
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Freeze dried

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? Since February
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? A few days ago
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Gill sticking out
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? No, just water changes
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? A little bloat but it cleared up
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? He seems to be glass surfing

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now) A few days ago I noticed my betta Baker with a tumor in between his gills, now suddenly the gill is sticking out and he is glass surfing. The Tank is a walstad tank, heavily planted, with aquarium lilies and floaters.

here is a video

I am sorry for the poor filming, I didn't take it, my sister did because she has a better camera on her phone.

Thanks in advance!

2. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

3. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

There's you issue. He has a stuck gill because he has been flaring too much. My girl Daisy has it and it never went back down. I have seen on some bettas that it can go back down or on some it never goes back.

Thought on after reading tumor part:
    His gills could be irritated from the tumor but it could be both things.

4. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

It's also known as a gimpy gill. As CanadianFishFan says, it can happen when they flare too much and they get it stuck open. You mentioned a tumor and it made me think of gill hyperplasia. It when there's damage to the gills and it causes cells to try to heal the area, forming a new growth (a tumor) which makes the gill cover open.

There isn't much you can do except to keep the water clean and it may or may not be permanent. Many bettas still do live normal lives even with the abnormal gill. My male, Gladiator, flared too much while in quarantine and he got one gill stuck open, but it later fixed itself.

5. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

Thanks guys! I'll add an extra water change per week!! And maybe try to step up his diet