Gill Flukes? Help

1. Zypher023 Member Member

Short version is that I’ve treated my betta for gill flukes twice with PraziPro after a diagnosis via members here. It’s been a month or two now however and it’s not better. When he flares, only his right side comes out. His left only partly moves. I noticed the gills seemed to flare out more than my other bettas, and his scales at some point started looking almost ragged from a profile (my others don’t look like this). The left gill doesn’t move when he’s breathing the way the right one does. His activity level and appetite are fine. He’s showing no symptoms. I can’t actually see ant parasites. Last water check was 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5-10 nitrate. Temp is 78-79F.

Is there something else I should try? Is there a chance the gill is just sticking out from scar tissue?

I’ve had him since June 2017. He was in a 1 gallon tank with an under gravel filter for 5 months, and I had come here for help with his anubias that was sick, and because his fins looked clamped. Ended up there were low amounts of ammonia in his water (.25-.5ppm). Well, I got some great advice, and moved him into a 5 gallon with an internal filter and a better heater in November. He’s a koi betta so he’s rather active with his shorter fins. I’m just not sure what’s going on at this point and if I should even worry. Thank you for any help in advance!
  2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Giving this a bump up for you

3. Zypher023 Member Member

Thank you!
  4. Zypher023 Member Member

5. Zypher023 Member Member

Well he started acting a bit weird, and is hanging out at the bottom of the tank. But whenever I come over and he sees me he’ll come to the top at the front. It almost looks like he’s hunting in the gravel. Maybe he’s looking for detritus worms?