Gill Flukes Treatment?? - Page 2

Rtessy

Thanks! I ended up being unable to take her out yesterday, so as soon as I get home I'll get her back into the 10 gallon. It's pretty interesting how similar the Tupperware footprint is to the 10

Gypsy13

Thanks! I ended up being unable to take her out yesterday, so as soon as I get home I'll get her back into the 10 gallon. It's pretty interesting how similar the Tupperware footprint is to the 10

Gotta love that Tupperware! I know I do! Let us know how she’s doing?

Rtessy

She looks basically the same, still active and all, I'm about to move her back to the 10

Rtessy

Okay, so good news/bad news.
Her coloration seems a lot stronger today, and it looks like the lesser damaged gill is just a little bit better. I also had my sister come take a look, and she said it does look better, but she thinks the other side looks worse than it was a few days ago.
Can fish live with one gill?
She's still stuper active, and now she's got more sparkle to her.

Gypsy13

Okay, so good news/bad news.
Her coloration seems a lot stronger today, and it looks like the lesser damaged gill is just a little bit better. I also had my sister come take a look, and she said it does look better, but she thinks the other side looks worse than it was a few days ago.
Can fish live with one gill?
She's still stuper active, and now she's got more sparkle to her.

You’d be amazed at what a fish can live with/without. The important thing is quality. Is she swimming? Eating? Active? All good things. Will she ever be 100% healthy? No. But, having dealt with an upside down, floating on top fancy gf for ten years, happiness is all that counts. In my case lots of Vaseline too. lol.
Also, you can do salt and/or mblue baths anytime. Mblue especially because it gets extra oxygen into the tissues.
Sparkle by the way sounds wonderful.

Rtessy

Part of the gill that is looking a bit better has started to look silver, which I think is the color of the gill cover. So I think she really is starting to get better, at least in one gill. I'll do another M Blue bath for an hour or two today, see if it helps at all

Gypsy13

Part of the gill that is looking a bit better has started to look silver, which I think is the color of the gill cover. So I think she really is starting to get better, at least in one gill. I'll do another M Blue bath for an hour or two today, see if it helps at all

I’ve always got mblue aquarium salt and epsom salt on hand. Still alive, that’s improvement! Keep posting good updates!

Rtessy

Gave her a 2 hour bath, and I got a closer look.
The silver is on the lower part of the gill, and I would say it is definitely the gill cover.
Do you think the gills cover could have been burned away? That's almost what it looks like. Though the redness didn't wrap all the way under the chin like it does on the other gill.
She's still active as heck, and still just as cute. I'm starting to think she's a ryukin instead of a fantail, her body is changing shape a bit and she's getting quite a tall dorsal fin.

Gypsy13

It’s happened before. I’m glad she’s still improving. Keep it up finmommy!

Whitewolf

Grab big fancy goldfish with your hand, not a net. A clean wet hand is much better than netting them over and over.

Rtessy

So we got some more silver growing on the gill cover, probably a half centimeter by a quarter centimeter. On the other side, there's a little silver sheen on one part, so that side may recover just yet, but I think it's too early to tell.
So, questions: When can I put her in with Charles? Her body is maybe getting close to two inches now, Charles is about 5 and a half. Is there a specific size I should get her to? I plan to keep her in the 10 gallon for another month at least, maybe two, just because it looks like that's how long it's going to take for her to recover entirely.
She's so cute and bubbly and still super active!

Gypsy13

So we got some more silver growing on the gill cover, probably a half centimeter by a quarter centimeter. On the other side, there's a little silver sheen on one part, so that side may recover just yet, but I think it's too early to tell.
So, questions: When can I put her in with Charles? Her body is maybe getting close to two inches now, Charles is about 5 and a half. Is there a specific size I should get her to? I plan to keep her in the 10 gallon for another month at least, maybe two, just because it looks like that's how long it's going to take for her to recover entirely.
She's so cute and bubbly and still super active!

As soon as she’s recovered, Charles will love her company. I’m so glad the other side is showing signs of healing! I’m also glad you love your finbabies to go to the nth degree.

Rtessy

Wanted to give an update. I jumped the gun a bit thinking the other gills was recovering, as it actually isn't showing signs of recovery yet. The good news is that the other gill is now about half silver and recovered!

Gypsy13

Wanted to give an update. I jumped the gun a bit thinking the other gills was recovering, as it actually isn't showing signs of recovery yet. The good news is that the other gill is now about half silver and recovered!

Yay! And remember, the other gill plate may never fully recover. It’s not worsening is the good news! Thank you for This!

Rtessy

Hey Gypsy, hope you're feeling better. Half of the one gill is a nice silver now, and her body is almost three inches. Lol, I'm getting a little impatient, do you think I could put them together now? I'm a bit worried about Charles's size, since her body is a solid 5" now.

Goldiemom

Gypsy13.

Gypsy13

Hey Gypsy, hope you're feeling better. Half of the one gill is a nice silver now, and her body is almost three inches. Lol, I'm getting a little impatient, do you think I could put them together now? I'm a bit worried about Charles's size, since her body is a solid 5" now.

If she’s still improving, eating well and acting ok, then she should be fine. Watch for any changes once she’s in with Charles. I’m glad she seems to be healing up! Sweet.

Rtessy

If she’s still improving, eating well and acting ok, then she should be fine. Watch for any changes once she’s in with Charles. I’m glad she seems to be healing up! Sweet.
Me too! She's super active and always ready to eat, lol. Charles's behavior has been a little off, so I'm hoping a friend can cheer her up. I'll be watching them very very closely.

Rtessy

Hey, so I know it's been a while, this is mostly an update and one question.
The one gill is slowly healing, the other is just staying the same. I tried acclimating her to Charles's tank, but Charles was being a bit too curious about her tail (some gentle nibbling, no damage but it just worried me) so she's back in the 10 till she gets bigger (her body isn't even 2 whole inches yet!). Only slightly concerning thing is that there is some redness that's been developing along her jaw line on the side that's doing better, it looks slightly under the skin. Not sure what this is, or if it's even worth worrying about, as she's acting just the same as normal.

Gypsy13

I’d keep a close eye on it. Hopefully it’s nothing. Poor little sweetie. I’m glad she’s doing so well! Eat and grow little one!

Rtessy

Thank you! Ive started doing a water change every other day and leaving in blanched kale so she can nibble on it whenever she wants

schmalzy_x0

I am about 99.9% sure that my fish have gill flukes. I have lost 3 fish already. All of the ones that passed away started breathing heavy, gasping for air at the surface, acting lethargic and passed away in about 2 days. Not all at once, they passed away one after another. I immediately thought ammonia so I tested the tank after the first death ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 15 ph is 7 which is normal for the tank. I added another airstone because I thought not enough oxygen so there are 3 in the tank now. They were flashing a little bit not enough that I thought it was an issue until now. None of the others right now are breathing heavy and acting strange yet but the breathing heavy, acting strange came on so suddenly with the others so it worries me with the other fish. So I started treating with prazipro 4 days ago. Now all of them are shaking their heads and flashing way more. And my one firemouths gills look bruised on the outside. Now my question is what is the best medicine to treat with? Also how often should I treat with the prazipro? I was going to water change and treat every 5 days for 3 times. But now I came across this

Day 1 -- remove carbon, perform water change with vacuuming, and add PrazI to tank
Day 2 -- add Prazi
Day 3 -- do nothing
Day 4 -- do nothing
Day 5 -- do nothing
Day 6 -- add Prazi
Day 7 -- add Prazi
Day 8 -- normal partial water change with vacuuming
Day 14 - normal partial water change, then add prazi
Day 21 - normal partial water change, then add prazi
Day 28 - normal partial water change, then add prazi
Day 35 - normal partial water change, add carbon, treatment is complete

Should I treat how I was going too or this way??

I am the perfect example as to why you need a quarantine tank!! I have been having issue after issue ever since I got these fish. I have only had them for 5 months. First ick, then callumus worms (which I have done 2 treatments already) and now this gill flukes!! Ugh. It has been stressful. And I now have a qt for future new purchases!! Wish I would have done that from the start! Anyway any help will be greatly appreciated!! I do not want my other fish to die!

A201

I've only had to deal with Gill Flukes once, in a Discus tank.
I successfully cured it dosing (Formalin).

schmalzy_x0

I've only had to deal with Gill Flukes once, in a Discus tank.
I successfully cured it dosing (Formalin).
Ok thanks! Is formalin pretty strong? I read that it is a gas? If this prazipro doesn't work then that might have to be my next option.

A201

Formalin is more or less diluted Formaldehyde. Its a natural occurring chemical compound of Hydrogen / Oxygen & Carbon. Its an ingredient in a lot of commercial fish meds not labeled as Formalin.
It stinks, with a strong chemical smell. Formalin doesn't stain the tank and it disapates quickly.

schmalzy_x0

Formalin is more or less diluted Formaldehyde. Its a natural occurring chemical compound of Hydrogen / Oxygen & Carbon. Its an ingredient in a lot of commercial fish meds not labeled as Formalin.
It stinks, with a strong chemical smell. Formalin doesn't stain the tank and it disapates quickly.
Ok. Well I am hoping this prazipro works but it not then I'll try to find formalin. Thank you!

schmalzy_x0

Well my other firemouth passed away this morning and I noticed that all my other fish in that tank have white spots on them. Ich!! Could the ich have been the reason why my fish were dying even though it didn't show up until now? Or could they be stressed from something else like the gill flukes that I originally thought they had and that's why they got ich now? I did a water change and started treating tonight. My 125 gallon and my 30 gallon are having no issues. My 80 gallon on the other hand has just been crazy. I lost 4 fish already in this tank.

coralbandit

Ich manifest in the fish gills first often where it can not be seen till it shows on the fish body .
Go rid ich plus or a NON HERBAL formula.Don't go soft ..

schmalzy_x0

Ich manifest in the fish gills first often where it can not be seen till it shows on the fish body .
Go rid ich plus or a NON HERBAL formula.Don't go soft ..
The only stuff they had at the lfs by me was nox-ich. The person there really recommended it and said they use it for their aquariums there. It has malachite green in it which I read was good. He said to do a half dose (because I have a pleco) for 7 days straight and then a water change. Have you ever used this product? I researched it and found mixed reviews. Some people say it's really strong/ killed their fish. Killed bb. But most said it worked. My fish are dying one by one so I need something that is going to work.

coralbandit

That is good stuff !
Follow directions .

schmalzy_x0

So I'm on day 4 of the treatment and my fish are getting better! Most of them don't have spots at all anymore. My big Eba has a couple left.. he was absolutely covered though at the beginning. I felt so bad. I know that the ich can just be in the tank now though... I did a water change and a really good substrate vacuum yesterday to try to get some of them. And I'm going to keep treating for the whole 7 days and then do another good water change/vacuum. Wait a week and maybe treat more if I need too. My Pleco is doing good as well... I was a little worried about him with the meds with the salt being in it but he is doing awesome.. he is tough! I just wish I would have seen the ich sooner and was able to save my other fish. But I'm happy the ones I have left are getting better.

coralbandit

You need to keep dosing meds till you see no spots at all for 3 days minimum.
I would even continue use longer just to be safe then risk re lapse and having to start treatment again.
Glad to hear things are getting better .

schmalzy_x0

You need to keep dosing meds till you see no spots at all for 3 days minimum.
I would even continue use longer just to be safe then risk re lapse and having to start treatment again.
Glad to hear things are getting better .
Ok sounds good! I will do that, thanks!! I do not want them to come back!

coralbandit

Ich fools most by hiding in the fishes gills where it can not be seen .
So even with no spots if breathing seems labored you are best to keep up with meds .

schmalzy_x0

Ich fools most by hiding in the fishes gills where it can not be seen .
So even with no spots if breathing seems labored you are best to keep up with meds .
Yeah it definitely fooled me. I didn't know what was going on with them and they just kept dying one by one. It was so sad. After my 4th passed away then it appeared on the outside. Now atleast I know what to treat for. I'll just keep continuing the treatment to make sure I get them all. Thank you for all your help!

angelcraze

Wow, so sorry for your losses I just want to say I'm glad you were able to figure out the problem finally and wish you the best with treatment.

Interesting about ich hiding in the gills. I would have thought gill flukes too.

schmalzy_x0

Wow, so sorry for your losses I just want to say I'm glad you were able to figure out the problem finally and wish you the best with treatment.

Interesting about ich hiding in the gills. I would have thought gill flukes too.
Thank you. I cried, I'll admit it lol! I get pretty attached to things quickly. Both my firemouths passed away which sucks because they were one of the first fish that I bought and they were a pair. I was treating with prazI for gill flukes because they didn't have any ich on them and they were still dying. It was frustrating. But yeah now I know it was ich and I can actually treat with the right meds. They are getting better finally.. Thank goodness!

angelcraze

Awwww, don't worry, you're not alone, I cry over my favorite cichlids too, I'm still mourning my "Big Blue" who dropped dead a year ago lol. It sucks. It really does. I'm not gonna deny that. But all I can say is try to accept that as a learning experience. Now you'll know how to handle things better. No one does everything right when trying to treat these fish, we just try our best! And you certainly tried your best!

schmalzy_x0

Awwww, don't worry, you're not alone, I cry over my favorite cichlids too, I'm still mourning my "Big Blue" who dropped dead a year ago lol. It sucks. It really does. I'm not gonna deny that. But all I can say is try to accept that as a learning experience. Now you'll know how to handle things better. No one does everything right when trying to treat these fish, we just try our best! And you certainly tried your best!
Thank you! That really means a lot!

schmalzy_x0

Well I treated for 14 days straight. I was not messing around and wanted to make sure I got them!! My fish looked 100% better on day 7 but I continued for a whole week after just to make sure! Fish are doing awesome and no one seemed to mind the meds even my pleco! Thanks everyone!!

angelcraze

So happy it all worked out and thanks for the update!

Whitewolf

I am dealing with them now. I added formalin (37%) at the rate 2 drops per gallon. Overnight my fish stopped flashing and are acting perfectly fine swarming the surface for food.
Gill and body flukes are a common problem, I bought online a couple years ago a big bottle of formalin to kill pretty much any parasite.....
The problem with flukes is that there are spores they leave behind that hatch like a week later, so a repeat treatment is necessary.

schmalzy_x0

I am dealing with them now. I added formalin (37%) at the rate 2 drops per gallon. Overnight my fish stopped flashing and are acting perfectly fine swarming the surface for food.
Gill and body flukes are a common problem, I bought online a couple years ago a big bottle of formalin to kill pretty much any parasite.....
The problem with flukes is that there are spores they leave behind that hatch like a week later, so a repeat treatment is necessary.
Oh that's awesome! I thought my fish had gill flukes because I didn't see any other symptoms, just the breathing heavy, acting lethargic and then death.. but then ich showed up. So I dunno if it was ich all along or if the gill flukes gave them the ich. But I did treat my tanks with levamisole prior and it says that ich could show up after that. So maybe it was just the ich. Just wished I saw it sooner before my 4 fish died.. especially my two firemouths that I loved and my $50 threadfin acara lol! So expensive to have it just die and I didn't know what was going on! Anyway I finished the ich treatment and fish seem awesome now! No deaths in my 80 gallon since then. If symptoms come back I might just have to do formalin or pottasium pomegranate and kill every parasite in there!! But fingers crossed everything keeps going well!! Hope your fish get better too!

schmalzy_x0

Well it's been almost 3 weeks and all my fish are doing awesome! I haven't had any more deaths in this tank which makes me very very happy!!

Here is a video of my Male electric blue acara. He was full of ich... I felt so bad. He is thriving now and looking more handsome than ever!! Thank you soo much everyone!

Dawn Michele

He looks GREAT!!! Glad he is doing well!!!

schmalzy_x0

He looks GREAT!!! Glad he is doing well!!!
Thank you soo much! I am very glad as well!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JoeV2004
Replies
Views
Sage Exotics
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views