Gill Color? Question

1. PythonTheBetta Member Member

Being a new betta "mom" I tend to be a little over-protective, helicopter parent if you will. I'm a bit concerned about her gills. They're red and I've heard this can be a sign of ammonia burns(which is very possible due to previously poor tank conditions). But she's also a red fish. Can gill color match body color?? Or should I start doing something to treat her burns? I'm not sure if they've always been red or if they recently changed color. I use API QuickStart and API Stresscoat for every water change. But for a while I used ZooMed's brand of Betta Conditioner. I'm much better about water changes than I once was and Python is now in a bigger tank. (unfortunately still under a gallon) I don't have a test kit yet but I have a Seachem Ammonia alert in the tank and it was always either yellowish(safe) or a weird grey color(not sure what that is.) But she's able to fully close her gills. Anyways this ended up being quite long, sorry about that. But just to restate, should I be worried?

2. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Did you cycle the tank, or do anything to cycle the tank?
    Does she have a heater and filter?

Since you don't have a test kit, I would suggest doing a large water change. Also I would do water changes often in a tank less then a gallon, from every day to every other day.

3. PythonTheBetta Member Member

This tank isn't cycled(no filter), but as soon as I get some TSS+ I'll start cycling the 2.5 gallon(that has a filter). Her gills have been this color for at least a few weeks but she doesn't show any other signs of illness so I didn't post anything about it. I've been doing daily water changes so far in the current 0.7 g tank. It's a Marina EZ Care but I'm not following the instructions that say to do weekly WC. I also suck out any poop with a turkey baster. She was previously in a small hex tank that unfortunately got pretty gross at some points. She seems to be breathing normally. Is there anyway this could just be her gill color?

4. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Unfortunately I don't believe you can cycle a tank without a filter, so you will need to continue to keep doing lots of water changes.

Make sure you put her in at the same time as TSS for the 2.5 tank and you can't do any water changes for two weeks with TSS. Honestly with a fish-in cycle I would use stability as you can do water changes while using it instead of TSS.

I'm unsure if it's her gill color. I question that since it just showed up couple weeks ago and wasn't present before.

edit: A picture may help too.

5. PythonTheBetta Member Member

I should clarify, I just noticed it a few weeks ago, they could have always been that color. But I found a thread about ammonia burns and that's the first time I really looked at her gills. I will take pictures tonight once I'm home. Would it be necessary to do a fish-in cycle? I was planning on doing a fishless one...

6. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

At this point I think it would be better for your betta to be in a bigger tank with filter and heater that is cycling versus being in a very tiny tank, no filter, and can not cycle it. It's kind of the better of the two evils in my opinion in your particular situation. This is coming from someone who prefers fishless.

Both stability and prime will help your fish a lot with a fish-in cycle.

7. PythonTheBetta Member Member

The tank stays at 78-82 so I don't have a heater for the 2.5. I've been planning on getting Prime anyways. I'm assuming with a fish-in cycle there's no addition of pure ammonia? And what about ammonia spikes? Judging by the name I'm guessing Stability manages that?

8. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Stability is a bacteria starter, like TSS, but you are able to do water changes. The water changes will help with any ammonia, and/or nitrite spikes. Basically if ammonia and/or nitrite gets too high do a water change. :)

Yup with fish-in cycle the fish produces the ammonia.

9. PythonTheBetta Member Member

how long until the tank is fully cycled with the fish in?

10. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

It depends, there really isn't one answer for that. I would say around one to two weeks.

11. PythonTheBetta Member Member

I'll get Prime and Stability and an API master test kit as soon as possible. And the water should be tested daily?

12. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

When cycling yes test daily. After tank is cycled, I usually test when I do water changes.

13. PythonTheBetta Member Member

In a cycled 2.5, how often should I do PWC? I've heard anywhere from 10% weekly to 50-75% weekly

14. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Go for the larger percentage. You might even consider doing 2 water changes per week to better stabilize the parameters.

15. PythonTheBetta Member Member

Alright, thank you! Would it be possible just to do these WC by scooping water out with a cup or is a siphon necessary

16. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

A siphon is easier plus you'll be able to clean poop out of the gravel using it. A cup will be slower but will work in a pinch;)

17. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

Hi, I have no idea about your specific Betta but my blue fish does have red gills on the inside that you can see when he flares only. My red fish also has red gills inside and out but every Betta could be different I have no idea.

18. PythonTheBetta Member Member

This makes me feel better. Same with Python, I only see them if she flares or if the tank is jostled and she's stressed. They don't appear to be inflamed. This definitely eases some of my worry and makes me feel less like a terrible fish mom!

19. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What you're probably seeing is not the gills but the "beard". It's what the fish uses to display with to look threatening to rivals:)

20. PythonTheBetta Member Member

sorry for the poor quality, my phone camera just wouldn't focus. you can sort of see what i'm referring to in the first few seconds of the video. is that the beard? https://vimeo.com/170563662