Gigantor died! :(

Discussion in 'Fish Memorials' started by Junne, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

My beloved mystery snail, Gigantor has died. She has been feeling poorly the last week. I don't know what went wrong. One day she was eating, then the next few days she just curled up and didn't do much.
    She has had 6 egg clutches since July and her mate, Davy, just died just 12 days ago.....
    I am beyond sad....................

I can't bear to take her out of the tank even though I know she is gone :(

This has been a bad month... Lost my 2 snails and Betta

Junne

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry to hear about G...I too lost a snail...

3. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

I am so sorry to hear about Gigantor. How long did you have them?

4. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Awwww *big snug* sounds like we both had a bad month.

5. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear this.

Your posts were some that convinced me to get snails. I have one Gold Mystery, and just got some Nerites via mail today, unfortunately, none of them have become active yet. Hoping they are ok, just babies a couple of them.

The Mystery seems to be doing well, consumes Zucchini just like your Gigantor did, gone, no trace. Sits on it and eats. Lights on - lights off - feeding the fish, whatever is going on, does not interrupt eating zucchini.

Again, sorry you lost her and Davy.

6. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Thank stinks.
    I'm so sorry. :(

7. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

Oh no! I am so sorry. Hug

8. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry your snail died Junne. :( The timing of their deaths makes me wonder what happened, it seems long odds they just happened to die so close to eachother. And don't say she died of a broken heart!

9. OP
    OP
    Junne

I'm beyond sad.... She was my favorite girl......
    I had her since day one - end of March of this year when I started my first tank :)

I have her 4 babies ( 2 that were just born a few weeks ago ) and 2 of her babies that were born in July.

Matt I am thinking it had something to do with all of those egg clutches in such a short time. What do you think? She wasn't old by any means - I got her and Davy at the same time and they were very small then.
    My water parameters are normal ( 0/0/5 ) and the only thing that I have added to the tank in the last 2 weeks is a cuttlebone......
    I AM convinced that Davy died of a broken heart. You would have had to see how he was after seperating the two - :(

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2012
  10. Matt B

I wish I knew more about snails and could give you an idea Junne but I really don't. I'm only just aquiring a liking for them myself. Really the only idea I have is something they both had access too like maybe pesticides from a vegetable or something.

Given that their lifespan is supposed to be years from what I understand it just seems really suspicious for them to both go like that.

11. OP
    OP
    Junne

I know! I wish I knew! All of my veggies that I get for the snails are scrubbed, just as if I would eat them myself. Also because they are usually organic, I don't think much pesticides, if any get on them.
    All of my snails get the same food and exposed to the same stuff. Like I mentioned, the only thing different is the cuttlebone.
    I got that at a lfs - I didn't wash it or anything and just threw a piece in my tank.

There just doesn't seem like a reasonable explanation....................

12. Matt B

Thats one thing I still have to get used to about this hobby, sometimes you never find out what happens. I always have to have a logical explanation for things so this drives me crazy!

I know those cuttlebones are used for birds alot, do they ever spray them for mites or anything? Just guessing, I haven't bought one of those since I was a kid and we had finches.

13. OP
    OP
    Junne

Gosh I dunno Matt. They were just in a big bulk bin...... I think I am going to take it out though........ My other snails have been on it too although it wasn't in the tank with Davy and I have not seen Gigantor near it. Its been floating most of the time and only sank about 2 days ago.

14. Matt B

Sorry, forgot you already said other snails were on it. :;smack

If I remember correctly monkie something or other (I can't remember the username) is big into snails, if you know who I'm talking about maybe pm them. If you find anything out post it, I'm curious!

15. OP
    OP
    Junne

Do you mean Monkeypie102?

Thanks Matt..... It just would be easier if I knew but chances I won't so I am going to try and not drive myself crazy about "what I should have done" :(

16. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

I'm sure they both received the best possible care they could have from you. Don't beat yourself up over it (although I know it's easier said than done).

17. midnamoondog

midnamoondog Well Known Member Member

Aw I am so sorry :(

18. OP
    OP
    Junne

Thank you I decided to drown my sorrows over a bag of chips

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Forum Runner

19. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

*snuggles*
    Hope you figure it out soon. I do wonder if the cuttlebone changed your hardness suddenly? It IS basically calcium.

20. OP
    OP
    Junne

What effect would that have? I don't know much about that. I was basically using it for extra calcium because I thought her shell needed it. I hope that's not why she died :(

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Forum Runner

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice