Giant Piece Of Driftwood

Miyyaro

I am so excited about this piece. I have a couple questions about it.

1) What kind of wood?
2)Its really big, hard to soak/boil, I'm wondering if I was to just rinse it thoroughly with hot water, would that be safe enough for my tank? It's been out of the ocean for about 4 years, but it's also been outside in the dirt in the weather for a couple. I'm mostly concerned about bugs. I don't mind tannins and having it float, those aren't my concerns, is there anything else I need to know?
3) Very slightly off topic, I have my tank filled with drift wood. So as you can imagine, my Ph has gone down considerably. It was perfect, and and now it has lowered a bit too much. Is there any way I can keep the driftwood in the aquarium whilst keeping a steady Ph?

Thank you so much for your help!

28547742_10160162684335077_2060316004_o.jpg
28461673_10160162683060077_1315771355_o.jpg

Nataku

Throwing itbin a storage tote and pouring boiling water over it will also work to sterilize it.
No idea what kind of wood it is.

If pH is a little too low add some crushed coral or limestone rock to your tank to buffer it back up a bit.

Miyyaro

How long would I need to put boiling water on it? Just the once?

NewbieFishGuy

Yes. You can also put some vinegar in with the boiling water which should help kill most stuff living in it. Leave it in for a couple of days then drain it and let it sit in fresh boiling water with no vinegar for a couple of more. Should be good to chunk it in after that.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Utar
Replies
Views
Fishfriendkeeper
Replies
Views
Myyyman
Replies
Views