Giant mystery snail!

Pfrozen

Well Known
Went to a super nice store the other day for plants and the guy had the most beautiful 200g aquarium I've ever seen. I could see oxygen bubbles coming out of the plant leaves and the fish were the nicest fish you could possibly have! Anyways, he had a mystery snail in there and it was about 5 inches. Yes, it absolutely was a mystery snail lol. He said they grow that big if they survive and have perfect conditions. Everywhere online says that reach max 2 inches but this dude has one the size of my fist! Anyone ever see something like that?

OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
jkkgron2 said:
I’ve seen apple snails that big but never a mystery snail! Did you get a pic?
LOL my bad, he called an "apple snail AKA mystery snail." It looked like a mystery snail tho. HM. perhaps it was just an apple snail then! :D

Speaking of snails, does anyone know if Malaysian Trumpet Snails will uproot Anubias plants loosely "rooted" in a sandy substrate? And do they mind if I have tons of rotting leaves covering said substrate? Asking for science! :D

jkkgron2

Well Known
Not sure about uprooting but as long as the waters clean they wouldn’t mind. They probably would enjoy hiding under them!

Foxxway

I have one that survived from last year that's pretty huge. She's bigger than a golf ball. She'd been alone a long time and when I introduced a couple of new mystery snails in there, she had him totally covered. She was, well, ya know, making up for lost time, lol. I thought she was gonna suffocate him. I now have 2 egg sacks on side of tank. Can't wait until the new magenta ones start having babies.

OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Foxxway said:
I have one that survived from last year that's pretty huge. She's bigger than a golf ball. She'd been alone a long time and when I introduced a couple of new mystery snails in there, she had him totally covered. She was, well, ya know, making up for lost time, lol. I thought she was gonna suffocate him. I now have 2 egg sacks on side of tank. Can't wait until the new magenta ones start having babies.
Magenta? nice!!!

jkkgron2 said:
Not sure about uprooting but as long as the waters clean they wouldn’t mind. They probably would enjoy hiding under them!
Thanks, actually I hear they reproduce readily based on how much food they have so that would work perfectly for my build :D think I'll do that instead of mysteries

New Threads