Giant Gourami

1. kimoore Member Member

anyone here currently have one or have any experience with one? Im just kind of curious how common they are. Thanks!

2. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi,

I have extensive experience with them although I don't have any at the moment. You can see pictures of mine on the last page of my thread "A Big Project" Here's a link - A Big Project

3. kimoore Member Member

those are wicked cool! do you still have them? I am building a house and have been totally inspired by that tank! I'm thinking about tweaking the plans and completely removing a the wall that separates the guest bedroom from the bar in the basement and replacing it with a tank! (i can hang some sort of curtain in the spare bedroom for privacy.) However, I am for sure building a 200 gal, but I really would like to have a giant red tail gourami... so i should probably bump it up to 300 gal, what another 100gallons right?

4. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I got to see a full grown one once. It was brought into the store I work at. Sadly it died, we couldn't get it to eat. He was really cool tho.

We get small ones in all the time. Plus the kissing gourami is the 3rd type of giant gourami. I have a kissing currently :)

5. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Giants are amazing animals and a HUGE amount of dedicaion and patients, great fish though, i really hope to have the chance to own one some day.

6. kimoore Member Member

I have only seen one in person, once. It was the coolest thing! He sort of reminded me of a dog. And I have a huge garden and a greenhouse, so fresh fruit and veg wont be a problem.

7. gourami88 Member Member

WOW! Wanna build me a tank?? LOL

8. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Hmmm... I dunno. A 200g may be big.enough but it depends on the dimensions. Hoe large were you wanting to make the tank. I'd go for a kissing gourami like e_Watson has because they are smaller.

9. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I agree on the kisser. A GG would do best in a wide tank that was atleast twice as deep as it is tall.

10. kimoore Member Member

ya, i am thinking more on the square side, not so rectangular.

11. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

I don't agree on it having to be twice as deep as it is tall. Yes, it will need to be very wide but it should also be very tall.

Giant Gouramis generally have a very friendly personality and are very playful fish. They are not aggressive towards most other fish but will still eat smaller fish. I warn you though, Giant Gouramis need A LOT of attention.