Giant Danios acting weird

stizzi1000

I've just started my 50 gallon tank. On the third day I put in 5 Giant Danios and they were doing exactly what I thought they should, actively swimming around. The next day, they all seemed to be hiding in the rear of the tank behind some cover. I'm not sure if they are scared of the light as I interact with my fish when it is dark in the morning and I need to turn the light on or at night when I get home and same thing I turn the light on. The only thing is when I turn on the light at night it stays on until about 10 and they still don't seem to come out of there shell. Any thoughts? My tank is still cycling, PH 7.0±, Ammonia-trace readings, Nitrites-low readings, one reading above 0, Nitrates trace readings.

Thanks.

sirdarksol
So are the lights going on only a couple of times randomly? That could actually be the issue. Most fish need a "night" and a "day" and don't like if the light is turned on, turned off, turned on, and turned off all in one day. It's best to turn the light on in the day and turn it off in the evening. This gives your fish a definite idea of night and day.

Also, you say "trace readings". What is the ppm of your waste products? (If you can't read the numbers precisely, don't worry. We're just looking for a close concept. "Trace Readings" to one might mean "oh my gosh, the fish are going to die" to another.)

stizzi1000
When I say trace or low readings I mean that I can't remember the # from work but it was only one color change on the chart from 0 readings. Sometimes those color changes can be hard to id.

Do you think that if I have a timer come on during the day around 4 when it is still light out and stay on until about 10, so that I can enjoy them, that will stress them out with too much light??

sirdarksol
If you're saying from 4pm from 10pm, that should be fine, I think. I think most people do an 8 hour cycle, so 2pm to 10pm would be perfect. My lights are usually on until 10pm.
Darken the room as much as possible when you leave in the morning (pull the blinds, that sort of thing) so the sunlight doesn't intrude on their "night".

Narcicius
Hope the stress of the fish is reduced and they start swimming again. post their progress.

stizzi1000
Thanks again. I'll check my real #'s when I get home and re-post. Maybe they'll be more active tonight.

joshthefisherman
sounds uncharecteristic are they by themselves in the tank

stizzi1000
Yes. This morning when I turned the light on and put a little food in the tank one came out to feed a little but was darting around frantically. They all start moving around kind of crazy like, actually running into the walls for a minute or so. After that they took cover indiviually under plants but then regrouped again hiding in the back of the tank at the bottom.

I appreciate your thoughts.

susitna-flower
I've just started my 50 gallon tank. On the third day I put in 5 Giant Danios and they were doing exactly what I thought they should, actively swimming around. The next day, they all seemed to be hiding in the rear of the tank behind some cover. I'm not sure if they are scared of the light as I interact with my fish when it is dark in the morning and I need to turn the light on or at night when I get home and same thing I turn the light on. The only thing is when I turn on the light at night it stays on until about 10 and they still don't seem to come out of there shell. Any thoughts? My tank is still cycling, PH 7.0±, Ammonia-trace readings, Nitrites-low readings, one reading above 0, Nitrates trace readings.

Thanks.

Did you use any conditioner in your water? How did you introduce your fish to the tank? ie., describe the process if you don't mind.

Had you done ANYTHING to your tank to start the cycle?

What is the temperature?

I can't tell by your description, just how many days they have been in the tank now. They DO seem stressed, I would doubt it is from the light. We should know more after you post the current readings. HOPE they are OK when you get home.

stizzi1000
I used Amquel in the beginning. I start the tank on Thursday and put the fish in on Sunday. The temp did seem a bit warm, it was at 78º, I turned it back down to 76º.

I introduced the fish by placing the bag in the tank to let them acclamate, and then I slowly added about 1/4 cup of tank water at a time to the bag.

At first they seemed fine. Just after a day they were acting odd.

Thanks.

susitna-flower
How many days have they been in the tank total?

Do they have swimming space all across the front of your tank with maybe plants at the back?

How bright are the lights? How many watts?

Did you use bio-spira when you first put the fish in?

I have some suggestions.

#1 Do a 25-50 % water change & drop your temp again slowly to about 72-74. They can go down to 67, but I think 74 would be good for now.

#2 Use Bio-spira......IF you insist on NOT using it, switch from Amquel to Prime. In addition to what Amquil does, prime also stimulates the slime coat, and detoxifies heavy metals.

#3 Start your fish out slowly on light in the morning by turning on room lights first to help wake them up. After 1/2 hour turn on tank lights.....one side then the other if you have two controls.

For now, leave them on all day, or at least 1/2 of them. Give your fish lots of time to get used to the tank.

#4 I don't know what you are feeding, but you might try some frozen bloodworms or frozen brine shrimp in addition to flakes. Just a few to get them interested at first.

stizzi1000
Okay got home and they are still the same. My real numbers are Ammonia = 0, Nitrites = 0.25, Nitrates = 5.0, PH = 7.2.

I added some Sodium Biphosphate per the directions in order to get the ph down a bit.

I tried feeding some flake, but I don't think that they even know it is in thee it tank because they are not coming out to investigate. Some food may make it down with the flow of the filter.

Thanks again for your time.

stizzi1000
Oh one more thing, we did add two new rock formations after the fish were put in, just the next day actually, the first is what I think the store calls rainbow rock?? The other looks like the rainbow rock but is more of a deep purple than the lava colored rainbow.

Just thought i'd mention it. The LPS said that they were a fairly neutral rock.

Thanks again.

stizzi1000
Okay took a look at them while all was dark and they were darting around. I turned a near by light on and they seemed to tolerate that. I tried a feeding at that point, they weren't that interested but seemed more intent on getting out of the tank. I turned the tank light on, they seemed to be swimming at one of the tank walls all grouped togethter. I recently called my wife to check on them and she said they were back to hiding out in the back.

Any thoughts??

sirdarksol
Do you have much in the way of plants (real or fake, doesn't matter)? They might just be feeling exposed. Not sure what type of setup giant danios like, but being skittish is often due to a lack of hiding places.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about pH. Most fish will do okay as long as the pH remains constant. My fish are in a pretty high pH and are doing fairly well.

stizzi1000
We have plenty of plants and structures. When the lights are out I can see those little guys swimming around. I tried turning on a small room light and they weren't too bad, but once the tank light is on they go right to the back on the bottom hiding. Kind of weird. I don't want to take them back but what good are the fish if you can't watch and enjoy them.

My water parameters all seem okay even though my tank is still cycling.

sirdarksol
One more question...
What do you have for lights?
What kind? (T5, Metal Halide, Compact Fluorescent)
How many watts?

stizzi1000
Well I not 100% sure but the bulb looks like your standard flourecent tube, white about 36" long. I do know that it is 38 watts.

sirdarksol
That blows that idea out of the water, then. I was wondering if it was just too much light.

Honestly, I'm tapped out of thoughts on the matter.
Keep us updated, though. Who knows what little tidbit of information you give us will trigger someone to realize what the problem is?
Or, maybe this is just something that will clear up as the tank fully cycles.
Either way, just keep doing everything you can to keep the little guys happy, and keep us updated. (If they won't eat with the lights on, try feeding them while just the room light is on. Get a little feeder ring so they know they can go to the same spot to eat, and see how that works.

stizzi1000
I appreciate you efforts. It seems that I need dither fish for my dither fish.

Goonie
So I am stocking an all Male hap and peacock cichlid tank.

I am stocking dither and bottom feeders first.

It has had 14 giant danios (2 mo) 6 clowns and a rainbow shark (1mo)

I'm running 2fx6 canisters a ac110 hob and a 150 gallon raited sponge filter. A few large anubius and java ferns ( we'll see how bad the cichlids hate them)

Now on to my issue
This morning ammonia was0. Nitrites were 0 nitrates were between 10 and 20 definitely on the lower side. Ph is roughly 7.7(hard from the tap)

I went to pick up a pearl gourami for my community tank, and they had some beautiful rainbows(multiple types) and was originally looking at them in place of the danios so I picked up 5 and a medium redtail ( knowing these guys can be a bit mean I've kept an eye on him and my rainbow no issues so far)

After the new additions the clowns showed no change if anything they are more active.

The giant danios however are kind of sticking to a tight ball and not attacking food like normal. They also normally hang around the top now there all chilling under a fake plant to sleep.

They don't run from the sharks it can swim right through the group and no one freaks.

There are three however that seem to be danios crackheads who just randomly torpedo through the tank or try to swim up a filter output. Never seen them act this way should I be worried ?

Nomofish
I wouldn't worry about it too much, sounds like they just got a little stirred up from the new tank mates, hopefully they settle and go back to there normal routine.

Goonie
That's what I was hoping ty for the peace of mind.

Goonie
I believe something triggered my rainbow shark it had been very peaceful and would even ball up with my loaches now hes staked claim to half the tank..... not sure if I should change hardscape or rehome

jkkgron2
I believe something triggered my rainbow shark it had been very peaceful and would even ball up with my loaches now hes staked claim to half the tank..... not sure if I should change hardscape or rehome
What tank size is it In? In smaller tanks (30 And bellow) The SharK May not have enough room to establish territory and it would be best to rehome

Goonie
It's a 185 hes taken over a pile of lava rock with anubius.

Hes for sure the most agresive in the tank atm and is also one of the smallest.

jkkgron2
It's a 185 hes taken over a pile of lava rock with anubius
Liter or gallon? I’m guessing gallon, if I'm right then just change the hardscape

Goonie
Gallon, think it could wait until this weekend ?

jkkgron2
Goonie
K ty.

He isn't chasing all over once they pass the central spire rock he stops so they are basically in a 90 tall atm lol.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
fishychachki
Replies
Views
ElectricBlueCrawfish1
Replies
Views
Isadora
Top Bottom